Check out this week’s news, including an opening date for the gondolas, details on just how huge the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster will be, and new info on the Star Wars hotel.
Want to get the news delivered weekly by email? Sign up now.
There’s so much to talk about this week. Let’s break it down by category.
- We now have an approximate date for the Disney Skyliner gondolas to open: fall of 2019. Get more info on the gondolas.
- Automated PhotoPass is coming to 9 character locations at Disney World in early 2019. Disney says “With this change, multiple cameras will capture numerous memorable moments during a character interaction, allowing Guests to choose from a wider variety of photos. PhotoPass Cast Members will remain at over 100 PhotoPass locations.” It’s not clear how this will work, but has sparked a lot of concern. Feedback can be sent to [email protected]
- Disney will use a new series of A-1000 robotics to bring state-of-the art animatronics to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Check out the video.
- It was revealed that the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster is the largest concrete pour Disney has ever done, and the building that will house the ride is large enough to hold 4 Spaceship Earths.
- An artist’s concept of the ride vehicles for the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster was released. Described as “the world’s first storytelling coaster,” these ride vehicles will have a 360-degree spinning motion and be programmed to direct your attention at the story happening around you.
- We learned this week that the new tower coming to Coronado Springs Resort will be called the Gran Destino Tower. It will open in July 2019 and feature 545 new guest rooms (50 of those will be suites), a two-story lobby, and a Table Service restaurant with great views. Disney says guests will soon be able to make reservations, but no date has been announced.
- According to permits published on CaliforniaCoasterKings.com, the upcoming Star Wars hotel appears it may have only have 68 rooms that will come in 2 different sizes. It also looks like guests will be transported using some type of shuttle system. No opening date has been announced.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Opening Memorial Day Weekend
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Launches On March 1, 2022
- Where You Can Hug Characters Again at Disney World
- Traditional Character Meet & Greets Are Returning To Disney World & Disneyland
- Minnie Vans Return To Disney World On June 29
- Erin’s Fort Wilderness Trip (w/ accessibility considerations) – PREP 324 - September 27, 2022
- Recapping D23 Expo announcements with Allyson and Shannon – PREP 323 - September 20, 2022
- Planning Special Events at Disney World with Allison Mertzman – PREP 322 - September 13, 2022