Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a trackless family-friendly attraction centering around classic Disney characters, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto.
It’s a popular ride at Hollywood Studios and for good reason. Not only do guests to board a “runaway railway” and step inside a Mickey cartoon short, but the storyline is super fun and the effects are quite impressive.
- Location: Hollywood Studios, Hollywood Boulevard
- Height Requirement: None
- Description: A 2-1/2D attraction that puts guests inside of a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short.
- When to Visit: Typically at opening/within the first hour
- Recommended: Definitely
- Tip(s): If there’s a long wait at park opening, the wait time usually lessens near park closing.
- Scheduled Refurbishment: None scheduled right now.
Everything You Need To Know About Runaway Railway
You can find Runaway Railway at the end of Hollywood Boulevard inside the Chinese Theatre. Here’s the location on the map.
There isn’t a height requirement for Runaway Railway. If you want to check them out, we have guides on other WDW thrill rides and height requirements for attractions at other theme parks and water parks.
Rider Switch & Single Rider
Runaway Railway is one of the newest attractions at Hollywood Studios. It first opened on March 4, 2020. This is the first ride-through attraction in Disney history starring Mickey and Minnie.
With the opening of Runaway Railway also came the closing of the beloved and iconic attraction The Great Movie Ride on Aug. 13, 2017.
Runaway Railway was first announced during the 2017 D23 Expo, along with the official closing date of The Great Movie Ride.
Even though the rides are very different, several Great Movie Ride remnants remain, including the Chinese Theatre itself and the handprints, footprints, and autographs of famous figures outside the theatre.
Also, once you’re on the actual ride, make sure you listen for the train whistle. This is the exact same tri-tone boat whistle used in Steamboat Willie.
The Runaway Railway queue is located both outdoors and indoors. There is also a fun pre-show, but keep in mind that it isn’t always running.
Once you get inside, the queue also has fun themed-Mickey cartoon posters that change, so keep your eyes peeled!
The trackless ride vehicle for Runaway Railway goes backwards and forwards and has some short bursts of rapid movements. There’s also a certain simulator-type scene that could cause motion sickness. We have a guide on motion sickness that’s filled with information and tips.
The ride vehicle is representative of a railroad car and each row can fit about three to five individuals.
As for the entire ride vehicle, about six to 10 guests can fit in each individual railcar. There is one singular pull-down lap bar that covers all guests in a row for safety purposes.
Is It Kid-Friendly?
Runaway Railway is kid-friendly. There are a few fast and thrilling moments that could frighten little ones, but, overall, it’s a fun ride for the entire family.
We have a full guide on several other things that might scare little ones at WDW.
Your photo isn’t taken on Runaway Railway.
Watching a ride-through video of Runaway Railway doesn’t compare to the real-life experience, but if you want an idea of what the ride is like, here you go. Also, don’t watch if you want to avoid ride spoilers.
Other Fun Details
- Easter Eggs: A super fun hidden detail is that throughout the entire ride you can spot Pluto with a picnic basket in the background. In the first scene, you’ll see four passengers on a bike that represent The Dapper Dans. Keep your eyes peeled during the carnival scene for a poster titled “The Great Moving Ride” that obviously is in honor of The Great Movie Ride.
- Play Disney Parks: Yes. This free mobile app is only available for select attractions and allows guests to pass the time as they play games, trivia, and earn achievements along the way.
- Movie Connections: Runaway Railway isn’t based on any Disney movies.
- Splash Mountain Is Being Rethemed As A ‘Princess & The Frog’ Attraction
- New Virtual Queue Process Announced For Rise of the Resistance
- Another Update Announced For The Rise Of The Resistance Virtual Queue
- A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration Is Returning To Hollywood Studios
- Two Fossil Fun Games Reopen At Dino-Rama In DinoLand U.S.A.