(Article last updated: June 22, 2018)
There are several special events offered throughout the year at Disney World and 1 of those is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) where people get dressed up in costume and attend special activities that are only offered at this party.
Here's some info for you on the details of what takes place at the party, how much it costs, when it's held, and thoughts on how to create a touring plan to use during the party.
Let's get started...
In this article
- What is it?
- How much does it cost?
- When is it?
- What exactly takes place during the party?
- Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam (new for 2018!)
- How to plan your time
- Is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party worth it?
- Extra touches
What is it?
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is a party that takes place at Magic Kingdom. Everybody visiting Magic Kingdom in late August through early November will get to enjoy the decorations in the park, but only people attending the party will get to enjoy the special events (details on the events are below).
How much does it cost?
This event is only available to people who have purchased special event tickets. Tickets range in price from $75-125 for adults, depending on the date you attend.
Tickets for 2018 went on sale on March 19th. Tickets are currently only available by calling 407-WDISNEY but they should be available at DisneyWorld.com soon.
When is it?
On some nights in August, September, October, Magic Kingdom closes early so that Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) can be held from 7 p.m. to midnight (though people with party tickets can enter as early as 4 p.m.).
People often ask how Disney filters out the non-party goers. The answer is that party attendees are given special bracelets to show that they are attending the party and starting at park closing (which is 6 p.m.) Cast Members will usher out anybody who doesn't have that bracelet.
These are the party dates for 2018:
- August 17, 24, 28, 31
- September 3, 7, 9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30
- October 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 26, 28, 30, 31
Important note! The party will go on regardless of weather so even if it's pouring down rain, it'll be taking place. If you don't want to risk it by purchasing ahead of time (it is during hurricane season, after all), wait until you're at Disney World to purchase tickets. Some dates like the very first night and Halloween do sell out ahead of time but many don't.
What exactly takes place during the party?
Details for the 2018 parties haven't been released yet but generally things stay fairly similar from year to year. Here is what happened in 2017:
Everybody is given a bag when entering the party, but you can bring your own if you'd like to get more as well.
Go later in the night to avoid lugging around heavy candy, to enjoy shorter lines, to benefit from Cast Members often generous portions later in the night, and to allow you to do more important things earlier.
Trick-or-treating was available in these locations in 2017:
- Pinocchio Village Haus
- Mickey's PhilharMagic
- Pete's Silly Sideshow
- Stitch's Great Escape
- Carousel of Progress
- Space Mountain
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
- Jungle Cruise
- Enchanted Tiki Room
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Liberty Square Riverboat
People with food allergies: you can grab a teal bag at Town Square Theater or Heritage House. You can collect teal tokens at the trick-or-treat stations which can later be redeemed for allergy-friendly treats.
Disney used to allow everybody to wear costumes during the Halloween party, but the policy has changed in recent years.
Here's the current policy.
- Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests.
- All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
- Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
- Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
- Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
For Guests ages 13 and under:
- Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
For Guests ages 14 and older:
- Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
- Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g.,full-length Princess dresses)
- Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
- Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
- Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
- Masks of any kind may not be worn.
Due to Florida weather, you might also want to make sure costumes are cool enough to wear in the heat and humidity, and choose something that can easily be covered in a poncho.
The parade is held twice during the party (at 9:15 p.m. and 11:15 p.m.). For easiest viewing, go to Frontierland for the second parade. The parade will come through that section about 15 minutes after the official parade start time so keep that in mind when planning.
One thing that's fantastic to see is the Headless Horseman who appears just before the parade begins.
Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular
In Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular, the mischievous Sanderson Sisters from Disney "Hocus Pocus" return to the mortal world for one night during the Halloween season. With only a few hours to run a muck, the three sisters decide to use their magic to throw the best, most evil Halloween party this side of the graveyard!
At the 2017 party, Hocus Pocus takes place in August and September at 8:15 p.m., 10:45 p.m., and midnight. In October and November, show times are 7:40 p.m., 8:35 p.m., 10:45 p.m., and midnight.
A special version of Wishes called HalloWishes is shown at 10:15 p.m. during the party.
The best places to see fireworks are noted on the map below.
Monstrous Scream-O-Ween Ball Dance Party
This dance party takes place on the Tomorrowland Stage from 7 p.m. - midnight.
Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam (new for 2018!)
Located in Storybook Circus (hence the name), this new dance party will feature Disney Junior characters, including Doc McStuffins.
The Cadaver Dans Barbershop Quartet
The Cadaver Dans perform their ghoulish medley of popular "tombs" for guests in Frontierland during Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom.
There are always chances to meet lots of characters during the party. Here are the characters that were available during the party in 2017.
The asterisk means it's a popular/rare character. Meeting them requires lining up early.
Main Street, U.S.A.
- Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
- Aladdin and friends
- Tarzan and friends
- Captain Jack Sparrow
- Jack Skellington and Sally*
- Anastasia and Frizella
- Cruella DeVil
- Alice and friends
- Belle and friends
- Ariel and friends
- Pooh and friends
- Minnie Mouse
- Princess Elena
- Princess Tiana
- Seven Dwarfs*
- Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear*
Disney always has exclusive merchandise available to purchase during their parties.
This year, there are 2 different limited edition MagicBands being offered (a Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and a Hocus Pocus themed one), t-shirts, pins, and light up ornaments.
Note: the Hocus Pocus merchandise may not be available. Lots of rumors about why that is, but just be aware that you may not be able to purchase it during your visit.
Here's what is available:
- The Emporium (largest shop, located on Main Street) - t-shirt, ornament and the MagicBand
- Mickey's Star Traders (in Tomorrowland, near the Tomorrowland Speedway) - t-shirt
- Box Office Gifts (right after you enter Magic Kingdom, it's on the right side) - MagicBand
- Big Top Souvenirs (in Fantasyland, near Dumbo) - t-shirt and trading pin
Shorter waits for rides
During the party, you can enjoy shorter lines on rides but there are no FastPass+ reservations available and not all rides are open.
Here's what was open for the 2017 party (noticeably missing - Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain):
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Swiss Family Treehouse
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Haunted Mansion
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- It’s a small world
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Mad Tea Party
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
- Princess Fairytale Hall
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- The Barnstormer
- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Space Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor (last show at 10 p.m.)
Note: though FastPass+ reservations aren't available during the party, you can get them for 4-7:00 if you plan to arrive in that time frame.
Although I think you should definitely take advantage of the special party events, the ability to walk onto rides is a huge luxury that's a lot of fun.
One ride you should definitely take advantage of during the party is Haunted Mansion where the maids and butlers are specially dressed for the party, there are storytellers and you can have your pic taken with the hearse driver.
Side note: Magic Kingdom is a great park to visit during the day of a party since less people want to be there due to the early closure. If you show up at 4 p.m., you'll be able to ride plenty of things between 4 and 7, before the party even begins.
Special ride experiences (new for 2018!)
In addition to generally shorter lines, a few of the attractions will have special experiences on select rides.
Here are the ones that are available:
- Mad Tea Party - Disney says it "will take you for a colorful ride as new lighting and effects give a new spin on the night. Depending on the color of your costume, you too could transform under the new dancing lights."
- Pirates of the Caribbean - descried as "pirates invade experience, interacting with sailing guests who will join the search for Gunpowder Pete.”
- Space Mountain - where "explorers will hurtle through deep space as a new soundtrack and special effects transform the adventure"
PhotoPass photographers will take special photos during the party and when you see the pics afterward, you'll see something magically inserted into the photo.
Magic Shots for the 2017 party were available at these locations:
Magic Kingdom Main Entrance
Main Street, U.S.A.
And you can also find props to pose with during the party, like these party signs...
This one is available at the Haunted Mansion starting at 8 p.m...
And this one is available near Ariel's Grotto after dark...
Though I'd be careful about spending too much of your party time eating, there are some Quick Service and Table Service restaurants available during the party. A few of the Quick Service options even have Halloween-themed treats.
Table Service restaurants that were available in 2017 include Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Crystal Palace. You can book those at on the MNSSHP dining page.
Quick Service restaurants are also available. Here's that list, including the ones that have special treats available for the party:
Main Street U.S.A.
- Main Street Bakery - Pumpkin Cheesecake Dome with a graham cracker streusel base, orange white chocolate glaze and a white chocolate Mickey available (also available at Gaston's Tavern)
- Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
- Casey's Corner
- Aloha Isle - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with Oreo panna cotta and a white chocolate Haunted Mansion-inspired portrait (this is 1 of the Haunted Mansion desserts. Other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Liberty Square Market, and Storybook Treats)
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn - Worms and Dirt, a chocolate gravestone with chocolate cake and chocolate mousse with a chocolate glaze topped with Oreo crumbs, and gummy candy available
- Churro Cart
- Sleepy Hollow - A vanilla panna cotta, chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream, white chocolate and dark chocolate crisp pearls, dark chocolate curls and a white chocolate Jack Skellington and a Pumpkin Mickey Waffle with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles and caramel sauce available
- Liberty Square Market - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with peanut butter icing and a Haunted Mansion-inspired white chocolate portrait (this is 1 of the Haunted Mansion desserts. Other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Aloha Isle, and Storybrook Treats)
- Columbia Harbour House (until 8 p.m.)
- The Friar's Nook
- Storybook Treats - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with peanut butter icing and a Haunted Mansion-inspired white chocolate portrait (this is 1 of the Haunted Mansion desserts. Other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Aloha Isle, and Liberty Square Market)
- Gaston's Tavern - Pumpkin Cheesecake Dome available (also available at Main Street Baker)
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
- The Lunching Pad
- Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies - chocolate tart filled with raspberry compote and topped with white chocolate (this is 1 of the Haunted Mansion desserts. Other flavors available at Aloha Isle, Liberty Square Market, and Storybrook Treats)
These treats are also available throughout the park:
- Chocolate Crisped Rice Treats
- Vampire Mickey Brownies
Exclusive Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom card
Guests attending MNSSHP can pick up an exclusive Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom card. For 2017, the card was themed after the Country Bears Jamboree attraction.
Get the party map
Here's the 2017 party map.
(Download the PDF)
How to plan your time
In my opinion, these should be your priorities:
- Meeting popular characters like Jack Skellington and Sally, the 7 Dwarfs, villains, and the princesses
- Boo to You Parade
- Hocus Pocus show and HalloWishes fireworks
To fit it all together, this is how I would plan my time:
- 4:00 - 7:00 - ride rides, eat dinner, and then get in line between 5:30 and 6 to meet your highest priority character (like the Seven Dwarfs or Jack Skellington & Sally)
- 7:00 - 9:00 - rides, shopping
- 9:00 - 11:00 - fireworks, Hocus Pocus show
- 11:00 - midnight - Boo to You Parade at 11:15 p.m., trick-or-treat to get as much candy as you can, meet more characters with shorter lines
Is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party worth it?
I think the party is worth it for families that have kids that can stay up late, especially if you consider that you can think of your party ticket as your park ticket for the day but with special entertainment and shorter waits for rides.
For instance, if you'll be in Disney theme parks for 7 days, you could get 6 day park tickets and tickets to the party. On the party day, you could use the first part of the day to rest or visit Disney Springs, and then go to Magic Kingdom at 4 p.m. to use your party ticket.
In general, Tuesdays are the least crowded day to attend overall, and August and September dates are less busy than October dates.
In 2017 Disney offered a Happy HalloWishes Dessert Package which provided a Halloween-themed version of the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party. The price was $79/adult and $47/child.
If offered again for 2018 this is not something that we generally recommend because it takes so much time out of the party and you should be able to easily find a spot to view the fireworks, but it might be a nice add-on for people looking to do something a little different during their trip.
Another bit of extra magic that can be added if you're visiting Disney World in September or October is the special in-room celebration called Mickey's Spooktacular Celebration where your room can be decorated for the occasion.
So what do you think? Will you be attending Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party? Or do you have questions that weren't covered?
Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.