Walt Disney World announced on Tuesday, September 27 it is temporarily closing due to Hurricane Ian.
Disney World theme parks and water parks will be closed Wednesday, September 28 and Thursday, September 29.
Disney Springs will also close on Wednesday, September 28. A decision for Thursday is said to be announced later.
The closures were first announced to Cast Members, as Scott Gustin tweeted on September 27.
On Monday, September 26, Disney World started announcing temporary changes and shutdowns.
Here’s the latest updates you need to know:
Walt Disney World Resort temporary changes and closures due to Hurricane Ian
Walt Disney World announced theme parks, water parks, and Disney Springs would close in preparation for Hurricane Ian on both September 28 and 29.
On September 29, Disney World Resort announced they would resume theme park and Disney Springs operations in a phased approach starting on Friday, September 30.
In addition to below, the most up-to-date information about temporary closures and impacts are available on DisneyWorld.com/Weather.
These are the latest updates as of October 1
As of Saturday, October 1, Disney World has resumed normal operations except for a few areas.
- Typhoon Lagoon water park will reopen on Sunday, October 2.
Winter Summerland Miniature Golf and Fairways Miniature Golf will remain temporarily closed at this time. Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park is currently closed for the season.
- Partially used multi-day theme park tickets with a usage window impacted by Hurricane Ian related park closure will automatically be extended to use the remaining entitlements through any date through September 30, 2023.
Dining, Enchanting Extras and Special Events
- Theme park and Resort Hotel dining locations have returned to regular operating hours.
- Effective immediately, Disney will not enforce cancellation policies until further notice for dining and other experiences like Savi’s Workshop and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
- Performances of Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue have been canceled in light of the temporary closure of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. Guests with pre-paid reservations will be automatically canceled and refunded.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
If you purchased MNSSHP tickets for Thursday, September 29, 2022 directly from Disney using a credit card, debit card, or Disney Rewards Cards a refund will be automatically processed back to your original form of payment within 7 business days. If you purchased directly from Disney using another method of payment or your purchase included other products, please contact us.
If you purchased a MNSSHP ticket from a travel agent, travel wholesaler or other third-party travel seller, please contact your travel seller for further information.
Disney World Resort Hotels
- Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa will remain temporarily closed at this time.
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will remain temporarily closed at this time.
Disney is contacting guests with current and upcoming reservations.
Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser resumed operations with voyages departing Saturday, October 1.
At this time, change and cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for check-in dates of September 26, 2022 through October 6, 2022.
Airport and Transportation
- The Orlando International Airport stopped operation starting Wednesday, September 28 at 10:30 a.m. due to Hurricane Ian. As of September 29 at 9:30 p.m., the Orlando International Airport announced resumed passenger flights after 12 p.m. on Friday, September 30.
- Sunshine Flyer is offering full refunds for anyone whose travel plans changed. You can reach out by contacting [email protected] or filling out this form.
As of September 30, at 5 p.m.:
- Disney Wish: The Disney Wish is scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Sunday, October 2, and will sail as scheduled from Port Canaveral on Monday, October 3, 2022.
- Disney Fantasy: At this time, Port Canaveral is expected to be open on Saturday morning, October 1, 2022, with more ships in port than usual following Hurricane Ian. As a result, we ask that Disney Fantasy Guests sailing on Saturday, October 1, postpone their arrival to the terminal building by at least one hour after their selected port arrival time, but no later than 4:45 p.m. Guests will not be able to access the cruise terminal or parking facility in Port Canaveral until an hour after their scheduled boarding time.
- Disney Dream: The Disney Dream will sail as scheduled from PortMiami on Saturday, October 1, 2022.
The Disney Cruise Line Contact Center is currently experiencing high call volume. Disney Cruise Line asks that guests who are not sailing within the next 7 days to please contact the call center after October 5, 2022.
As we know all too well, this isn’t the first time Disney World has closed.
Here is a timeline:
- Hurricane Floyd: September 15, 1999
- Hurricane Frances: September 4-5, 2004
- Hurricane Jeanne: September 26, 2004
- Hurricane Matthew: October 7, 2016
- Hurricane Irma: September 10-11, 2017
- COVID 19 Pandemic: March 16, 2020 – July 11, 2020 (116 days; the longest closure in Disney World history)
There were also several times the parks closed early or opened late due to hurricanes. Disney World also closed their doors early for guests safety on September 11, 2001.
We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop regarding any further updates about Disney World closing.
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- 2023 Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Food (exclusive treats, dining options) - November 10, 2023
- Where to find the Characters at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party - November 10, 2023
- Gingerbread houses at Disney World for Christmas 2023 (plus resort trees and other decor) - November 3, 2023