You’ve got most everything paid for on your Disney World trip, but who will you need to tip? And what things will you need to pay with cash?
I’ve got info on that today, plus lots of news and a quick tip of the day.
So much has changed since we first published this podcast.
Find the most up-to-date information in our When to Tip at Disney World blog post.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Call in your quick tip of the day
To prepare for the 100th episode, I’d love to have you call in your own quick tip of the day at https://www.speakpipe.com/WDWPrepToGo.
Things that require tipping or cash
Almost anytime somebody handles your luggage, you should tip $1-2/bag for their help. That includes curbside check-in at the airport, Magical Express Cast Members who load your bags on and off the bus, and when bell services helps you at your resort.
If you do not pick up your own bags at the airport and allow Disney to deliver them to your resort, tipping isn’t required because you likely won’t see the people delivering your bags.
It’s customary to tip 18-20% at all Table Service restaurants (if you’re on the Disney Dining Plan, be sure to tip based on the amount you would’ve paid). For parties of 6 or more, an 18% gratuity will automatically be included. Gratuity is also included with the price at Cinderella’s Royal Table, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, Spirit of Aloha Luau, and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ.
Tipping can be paid with cash, credit card, or by charging to your MagicBand. That includes people on the Disney Dining Plan who can pay for their food with credits but use another payment method for handling tips.
You can also expect to tip for salon services, $1/person per day for Mousekeeping (use my cute envelopes if you’d like), valet ($2-5), and boat drivers. Most other Cast Members can’t accept tips, but you can feel free to give them thank-you notes and stop by guest relations to leave a compliment there.
I didn’t mention this in the podcast, but you can choose to tip at places that provide salon-style services such as Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop, and Pirate’s League as well if you’d like.
- 2016 packages were released and some changes were made to the offers. Check out this overview for a complete list of the changes. For people traveling in 2015, check out this list of everything that’s included.
- 2016 Disney Dining Plan prices have changed. See the list of prices here.
- Many restaurants aren’t shown as being on the list for 2016 Disney Dining Plan, but they should be added by the end of the year.
- Mears has an app for calling taxis at Disney World (available for iOS and Android).
- Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach refurbishments have been announced and are on the monthly dashboards.
- Selfie sticks have been completely banned at both Disney World and Disneyland.
- Military discounts have been extended through December.
- Captain EO will return to Epcot on July 19.
Quick tip of the day
Disney now has a GIF app to allow you to include Disney GIFs in your messages.
Have a quick tip of your own? Call it in at https://www.speakpipe.com/WDWPrepToGo
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
- Disney Dining Promo Card Offer Available at Walt Disney World For Summer 2023
- Minnie Van Service to Orlando International Airport Is Resuming For Club Level Guests
- Walt Disney World Temporarily Closing Due to Hurricane Ian
- New Disney World Resort Offer Available For Disney Visa Cardmembers
- Minnie Vans Returning To Disney World In Summer 2022
- Sailing Concierge on the Disney Wish– PREP 348 - March 14, 2023
- Flower and Garden Festival 2023 – PREP 347 - March 7, 2023
- Traveling on the Spectrum – PREP 346 - February 28, 2023
Tuesday 23rd of July 2019
Your Mousekeeping tip envelopes are adorable. Somehow, I often find myself rushing out of a hotel room without leaving a tip, only to feel guilty later. I printed your envelopes and stuffed them a week before our trip, and then set one on the vanity each morning as I prepared for the day. I hope that little extra pop of color brought a smile to their faces. .
Sunday 23rd of June 2019
Our bill didn’t have a gratuity added to it for Cinderella’s table. We left 18%. At be our guest it did have a gratuity added but we still left some extra. We tipped our bus driver, the bell hops, the cleaning crew, and left some extra at Ohana for our server at breakfast. Everybody at Disney works had to make things magical, everybody deserves a tip.
Sunday 22nd of July 2018
I couldn't find a date for this blog entry. How old is it? Reason I'm asking is because I've read some where it says you must tip 18% at Cinderella's Castle and Mickey's Backyard BBQ. This says gratuity is included. I don't want to tip if it's included, but I don't want to not tip if it's not.
Monday 23rd of April 2018
we are going next month and on the dining plan. I really did't want to bring cash with me into the parks. I know you can tip using your magic band account but is it better to tip in cash? Do cast members have to claim their tips if we use our MB accounts?
Monday 29th of January 2018
Are you required to tip at the table service restaurants? I will be a party of two on the dining plan.
Monday 29th of January 2018
Yes, you should tip as tips aren't included on the dining plan.