Walt Disney World is famous for its firework spectaculars, so it is not surprising that they take their already amazing displays up a notch for the Fourth of July. But fireworks aren’t the only way you’re able to celebrate at the parks.
If you are lucky enough to find yourself traveling to Disney World for Independence Day, you’ll find lots of ways to mark the holiday.
Check out your options for the Fourth of July at Disney World below!
What to Expect
First things first, as you can imagine, the 4th of July at Disney World will be busy – likely VERY busy.
In fact, our 4th of July trips have been some of the busiest of the summer as folks use the holiday to extend their vacations or long weekends.
And, we can’t forget to mention the heat.
You can just about guarantee that it will be h-o-t with July seeing average high temps around 90°F / 32°C.
In years past, park capacity limits might have come into play, but the Park Pass Reservation System has kind of eliminated that “problem”. As long as you have a Park Pass Reservation, you will get into the park you have selected.
If you couldn’t get the park reservation you wanted and were planning to Park Hop, it is important to note that Park Hopping is not guaranteed and is based upon availability.
There have only been a few times when Disney has restricted Park Hopping access, but it is a possibility that we might see it happen again at Magic Kingdom on the 3rd and/or 4th. That means you’ll want to show up as close to 2PM as possible if your goal is to hop there.
Tips for Surviving the Fourth of July at Disney World
- Try to watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom on July 3 instead of July 4. The crowds will be slightly lighter, and that frees you up to watch fireworks over at Epcot on the Fourth of July.
- July at Disney World is very hot and humid, and afternoon storms are common. Be sure you plan ahead, so you can handle the weather.
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. And use sunblock. And then hydrate some more.
- Pack your patience. Heat + crowds at Disney World can lead to short tempers.
- Visit less popular attractions or ones with low waits (especially if they are indoors!)
- If you don’t have reservations for meals, try to eat counter service meals during off-peak times. We recommend lunch by 11 and dinner by 4:30 to avoid the heaviest of crowds.
- Mobile Order whenever possible, and do it early as spots can fill up.
- The fireworks at Magic Kingdom are extremely popular, so if you have a large group or you are particular about your view, you’ll want to snag a spot early (at least 90 minutes before they start).
4th of July Fireworks at Disney World
You’ll have a couple of different options for fireworks on the Fourth of July at Walt Disney World:
- Magic Kingdom – Celebrate America! A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky (July 3 & 4)
- Epcot – Special 4th of July Fireworks (Possibly The Heartbeat of America special finale for Harmonious) (July 4)
- Animal Kingdom – No fireworks
- Hollywood Studios – No fireworks scheduled
Magic Kingdom will be extremely busy on the Fourth of July.
If possible, we recommend watching the Celebrate America! Fireworks here on July 3, which will then free you up to catch the special holiday fireworks over at Epcot on July 4.
Celebrate America! A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky
The main event at Magic Kingdom will be the spectacular “Celebrate America! A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky” fireworks display.
How to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from outside the park
There are lots of places outside the park where you can catch it.
During special displays like this one, however, the resorts frequently restrict beach access to resort guests, so if you aren’t staying at one of the monorail resorts, your best bet is to watch from the Transportation and Ticket Center dock.
Other ways to celebrate the Fourth of July at Magic Kingdom:
Liberty Square is a permanent part of Magic Kingdom, but it has special appeal during the Fourth of July.
There you can check out the reproduction of the Liberty Bell (which was cast from the same mold as the original Liberty Bell in Philadelphia), visit the Hall of Presidents, or take in a meal at Liberty Tree Tavern (reservations needed).
Carousel of Progress
Is Carousel of Progress a “classic”? Of course. But that doesn’t mean it can’t also have some *ahem* problematic elements.
There are 4 main “acts” in the Carousel of Progress, and each one depicts a time period and holiday all wrapped up in an oh so casually sexist way:
- 1900’s (Valentine’s Day)
- 1920’s (Fourth of July)
- 1940’s (Halloween)
- 21st Century (Christmas)
So, while the representations are all quite sexist, at least the attraction is air-conditioned, which can come in very handy during the hot and humid July weather.
Magic Kingdom Festive Fourth of July Snacks & Treats
Harmonious (with special finale)
It has been several years since we’ve seen special Fourth of July fireworks at Epcot, but it looks like they are back for 2022!
Here’s what has popped up on Disney’s website:
“Prepare for patriotism at is finest when Walt Disney World Resort commemorates Independence Day in the skies above EPCOT and Magic Kingdom park!”
As of June 21, Disney hasn’t said whether they plan to show them on just the 4th or if they’ll do them on the 3rd too (like they do at Magic Kingdom).
And while not yet confirmed, we do expect this to be a special ending or holiday tag (the one with Illuminations was called Heartbeat of Freedom) to the regularly scheduled Harmonious nighttime show and not a special stand-alone show like is done over at Magic Kingdom.
Voices of Liberty
Voices of Liberty a cappella group entertains guests daily in the American Adventure Rotunda, but for the Fourth of July they *typically* take their show outside to the larger American Gardens Theatre.
Voices of Liberty is one of our favorite acts in all of Epcot, and listening to their renditions of traditional Americana songs is a perfect way to spend some time in the World Showcase.
The exact location for their performances on July 4th isn’t confirmed, but you’ll be able to check them out in either the Rotunda or on the American Gardens Stage at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, & 5:00 PM.
Patriotic Disney Characters (not confirmed for 2022)
Historically, on July 4, you’ll find Disney Characters dressed up in their fancy Independence Day costumes greeting guests at The American Adventure. Now that characters have returned to more spots in the parks, we hope to see them back for the fun!
Other ways to celebrate the Fourth of July at Epcot:
The American Adventure
Located inside a large and elegant theater, this show combines audio-animatroinics, film, and music to take guests on a 30-minute journey through American history.
Covering key events from the landing of the Mayflower, to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, to the Great Depression, guests are treated to a dramatic re-telling of the American story.
The American Adventure is a permanent show in Epcot, but the history told here is especially fitting for the Fourth of July.
Epcot Festive Fourth of July Snacks & Treats
Hollywood Studios doesn’t have a nighttime spectacular like Magic Kingdom or Epcot, but you can get a (very) small dash of patriotism at 1 attraction and with a collection of Independence Day treats:
Muppet Vision 3D
Ok, this isn’t really a Fourth of July-themed attraction, BUT Sam Eagle does put on one of heck of “A Salute to All Nations, (but Mostly America)” in the grand finale.
Is this a bit of a stretch to connect it to the holiday? Yes. Yes it is.
But considering the Fourth is usually pretty hot, you’ll probably want a place to cool off, and catching a showing of Muppet Vision 3D is a great way to do just that.
Epcot Festive Fourth of July Snacks & Treats
Other ways to celebrate the Fourth of July at Disney World
Electrical Water Pageant
This is another thing that happens year-round at Walt Disney World, but the nostalgia of the parade and its patriotic score make it especially fitting for the Fourth of July.
You can catch the Electrical Water Pageant from the shores of The Seven Seas Lagoon at the following times (but check the My Disney Experience App the day of to confirm!):
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – Beginning at approximately 8:45 PM
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (including Narcoossee’s) – Beginning at approximately 8:35 PM
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – Beginning at approximately 9:35 PM
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground – Beginning at approximately 9:45 PM
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort – Beginning at approximately 10:05 PM; in instances when the Happily Ever After fireworks show takes place at 10:00 PM, the Electrical Water Pageant will begin shortly following its conclusion
- Right outside the entrance of Magic Kingdom park – Beginning at approximately 10:25 PM
Fourth at Disney’s Fort Wilderness
Disney’s Fort Wilderness is one of the best places to spend most holidays – including the Fourth of July.
Once again, you’ll find several fun holiday-themed events taking place over there, but note that access to the fort (aside from dining reservations) and activities listed below is usually restricted to Fort Wilderness resort guests only.
Beat the Heat Summer Scavenger Hunt (All Weekend – July 1 through 4)
- Clue Guide Pick-Up & Prize Redemption at the Bike Barn The Florida heat is upon us, and it’s up to YOU to solve the mystery on the different ways to stay cool for the summer. Complete numerous puzzles, riddles, and location-based tasks to receive a prize once the challenge is completed!
Patriotic Geocaching Challenge (All Weekend – July 1 through 4)
- Clue Guide Pick-Up at the Bike Barn Navigate the Campground with the compass app on your phone to find all of our Geocaches. Those who document all the codes before 5:00PM on Monday, July 4th will be entered to win a special prize.
Red, White, & Glow Pool Party (July 2 only)
- 8:30PM at Meadow Swimmin’ Pool
- Light up the night with our patriotic glow-in-the-dark pool party!
Glow in the Dark Slime ($) (July 2 only)
- 6:00PM-6:45PM at the Bike Barn
- Make glow-in-the-dark slime (costs extra)
Stars and Stripes Field Day (July 3 only)
- 2:30PM-5:30PM at the Meadow Field & Meadow Swimmin’ Pool
- It’s the ultimate team showdown, where you have the chance to bring your team to victory! All Guests will be teamed up to compete in a variety of field and poolside challenges. Bring the whole family, as everyone here will be a winner!
Golf Cart Extravaganza (July 4 only)
- 4:30-5:30 pm
- Staging Location at the Hitch-Unhitch Area
- Judging Location at the Meadow Trading Post For information/sign-ups, visit the Bike Barn before 6:30PM Sunday, July 3
4th of July Beach Batch (July 4 only)
- 6:30 to 9:30 pm at Clementine Beach
- Let freedom ring! Join us as we celebrate America with an Independence Day Beach Bash! There will be a DJ, fun games, watermelon eating contest, dances, and more!
Other Resort Fun
No other resort goes as wild for the Fourth of July as Fort Wilderness, but you will likely find specially themed activities at your resort. Plus, you’ll find these treats, too:
Do you have plans to spend the Fourth of July at Disney World? Let us know in the comments.
- Disney World Adding Mobile Order To Main Street Confectionery & More
- Walt Disney World Releases Extended Evening Theme Park Hours
- Harmony Barber Shop Reopening In July At Magic Kingdom
- Yachtsman Steakhouse & More Dining Reopening At Walt Disney World
- 2023 Disney World Packages Available To Book June 8, Plus Genie+ Purchase Change
- Fourth of July at Disney World (fireworks, treats, & tips) - June 21, 2022
- Things that might scare little ones at Disney World - June 20, 2022
- Every Disney World thrill ride ranked - June 20, 2022