There are lots of construction projects going on at Disney World in 2015 and a couple of new things that will open as well. Today, I have an overview of what you can expect if you’re traveling in 2015.
I also have a quick tip that will make sure you’re alerted when things change for your trip dates.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Construction in 2015
Lots of things will be under construction at Disney World in 2015. Here’s an overview of what we know right now.
- The Hub is being expanded – check for updates on WDWMagic.com
- Frozen ride and meet-and-greet being created and should open in spring 2016
- Soarin’ is likely being expanded to add a new theater to accommodate more people
- Sorcerer’s Hat is being taken down in the first part of 2015
- Toy Story Mania could be expanded to allow for more people
- It hasn’t been confirmed, but ground could be broken in 2015 on a Star Wars-themed land and/or a Pixar Place section
- Avatarland construction will continue until it opens in 2017
- The “Rivers of Light” water show is the most noticeable construction for visitors. This nighttime show is scheduled to open in early 2016.
The Polynesian Resort
The Poly has been under construction for a couple of years but most of it should be completed in 2015. Check TikimanPages.com for updates.
The Beach Club
Beginning in winter 2014, a 20-month refurbishment will take place to update all rooms and common areas.
Downtown Disney/Disney Springs
Construction began in April 2014 and will be finished in 2016. Some parts will open in 2015 (more info below).
New things in 2015
Trader Sam’s at The Polynesian
This tiki bar exists at Disneyland, but will be slightly different when it opens at The Polynesian. Here’s an artist’s rendering of what it will look like.
The Landing section of Disney Springs will open
New shops and The Boathouse restaurant will open in this section in 2015 (which has been called Pleasure Island for many years but will be renamed as The Landing). Here’s an artist’s rendering of what this should look like.
The Great Movie Ride will be updated
The pre-show and ending movie at The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios will be updated in spring 2015.
Likely expansion of My Disney Experience functionality
Hopefully things like checking bus schedules, going to your resort room without stopping by the checkin desk, and personalization features will be implemented in 2015.
New things beyond 2015
- Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom
- The Frozen ride and meet-and-greet at Epcot
Beach Club renovations should be complete.
Avatarland is scheduled to open
2018 and beyond
Star Wars land or Pixar Place (if they happen)
Quick tip of the day
Be sure to subscribe to email alerts on the monthly dashboards to be notified of park hours, refurbishments, FastPass+ openings, etc.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- Maximizing the Disney Dining Plan in 2024 – PREP 397 - February 20, 2024
- Best snacks on the Disney Dining Plan (most expensive by park) - February 19, 2024
- 12-year-old Annabel’s big family Universal/Disney World trip – PREP 396 - February 13, 2024