There are lots of construction projects going on at Disney World in 2015 and a couple of new things that will open as well. Today, I have an overview of what you can expect if you’re traveling in 2015.
I also have a quick tip that will make sure you’re alerted when things change for your trip dates.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Construction in 2015
Lots of things will be under construction at Disney World in 2015. Here’s an overview of what we know right now.
- The Hub is being expanded – check for updates on WDWMagic.com
- Frozen ride and meet-and-greet being created and should open in spring 2016
- Soarin’ is likely being expanded to add a new theater to accommodate more people
- Sorcerer’s Hat is being taken down in the first part of 2015
- Toy Story Mania could be expanded to allow for more people
- It hasn’t been confirmed, but ground could be broken in 2015 on a Star Wars-themed land and/or a Pixar Place section
- Avatarland construction will continue until it opens in 2017
- The “Rivers of Light” water show is the most noticeable construction for visitors. This nighttime show is scheduled to open in early 2016.
The Polynesian Resort
The Poly has been under construction for a couple of years but most of it should be completed in 2015. Check TikimanPages.com for updates.
The Beach Club
Beginning in winter 2014, a 20-month refurbishment will take place to update all rooms and common areas.
Downtown Disney/Disney Springs
Construction began in April 2014 and will be finished in 2016. Some parts will open in 2015 (more info below).
New things in 2015
Trader Sam’s at The Polynesian
This tiki bar exists at Disneyland, but will be slightly different when it opens at The Polynesian. Here’s an artist’s rendering of what it will look like.
And here’s a video of Trader Sam’s at Disneyland.
The Landing section of Disney Springs will open
New shops and The Boathouse restaurant will open in this section in 2015 (which has been called Pleasure Island for many years but will be renamed as The Landing). Here’s an artist’s rendering of what this should look like.
The Great Movie Ride will be updated
The pre-show and ending movie at The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios will be updated in spring 2015.
Likely expansion of My Disney Experience functionality
Hopefully things like checking bus schedules, going to your resort room without stopping by the checkin desk, and personalization features will be implemented in 2015.
New things beyond 2015
- Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom
- The Frozen ride and meet-and-greet at Epcot
Beach Club renovations should be complete.
Avatarland is scheduled to open
2018 and beyond
Star Wars land or Pixar Place (if they happen)
Quick tip of the day
Be sure to subscribe to email alerts on the monthly dashboards to be notified of park hours, refurbishments, FastPass+ openings, etc.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
- Disney After Hours Returning to Disney World in 2023
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway Opens January 2023 at Disneyland, Plus More Disney100 Celebration Details
- After Hours Coming to Epcot, H20 Glow Returning to Typhoon Lagoon
- Ariel Meet and Greet, Enchanted Tales With Belle Returning to Magic Kingdom
- The Reimagined Splash Mountain ‘Princess & The Frog’ Attraction Opening In Late 2024
- Cruising to Alaska on the Disney Wonder– PREP 360 - June 6, 2023
- Tips for dining at Be Our Guest Restaurant (how to get reservations!) - June 2, 2023
- Summer Travel Tips– PREP 359 - May 30, 2023
Sunday 16th of August 2015
Any idea when the hub construction will be finished? Planning a trip for mid December and hoping it will be complete...or at least mostly. Is the crane still up behind the castle?
Monday 10th of August 2015
There are rumors about that they are making a Cars Land in Hollywood Studios. Do you think theses rumors can be true?
Monday 10th of August 2015
No. I think they're creating a Pixar section and a Star Wars Land.
Friday 27th of March 2015
With all of the construction going on at hollywood studios will soarin' and toy story mania be open in June 2015. Thanks for all your help.
Saturday 25th of April 2015
Yes I was told both rides are to remain open during construction
Saturday 28th of February 2015
Is there any specific date on when the Boat House will open or when the menu will be released? I am debating between eating there or Fulton's Crab House in October.
Thursday 5th of February 2015
Do you think the new Soarin theatre will be open in time for Christmas 2015?