$5000 seems like a lot for a week-long family trip but it's amazing how easy it is to spend way more than on a Disney World trip.
Today I have tips for planning a deluxe-quality, 7 night trip for a family of 4 for less than $5000.
I also have a quick tip to help you keep your MagicBands secure on your Disney World vacation.
These are notes from this episode. There's much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
In this article
My stroller comparison data
You can find my stroller comparison post, including a spreadsheet with data about many of the most popular rental companies at https://wdwprepschool.com/comparing-stroller-options-for-disney-world-trips/
Planning a deluxe trip
We're going to assume that we're planning a 7 night trip for a family with 2 adults and 2 kids who want a trip that includes a nice hotel and restaurants but staying under $5,000 total for everything.
Here's what I suggest:
- Step 1: when to go - you can make your money go further by avoiding the most expensive times of the year which include the last 2 weeks of December, the week surrounding President's Day, Spring Break (the second week of March to mid-April usually), the week before and after Easter and Thanksgiving. People traveling in summer can pay a bit less by visiting the last 2 weeks of August.
- Step 2: picking a hotel - I suggest renting DVC points (Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk Villas and Old Key West are the least expensive) or staying at the Swan or Dolphin
- Step 3: make a daily plan - plan to kick off the trip with a fun character meal and spend 6 days in the parks (6 day base tickets from Official Ticket Center would run a family of 4 about $1250)
- Step 4: choose dining - I would suggest purchasing the Disney Dining Plan and then picking restaurants that maximize the value of a Disney Dining Plan credit such as Akershus breakfast, Chef Mickey's dinner, 'Ohana dinner, Boma dinner, Garden Grill, 1900 Park Fare dinner, Cape May Cafe dinner and Whispering Canyon Cafe
- Step 5: plan park touring - same touring principles apply for everybody
- Step 6: add extra magic - I suggest the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party which would cost $68 for a family of 4
Quick tip of the day
They come in lots of colors and decrease in price if you order more than 1 ($5.99 for 1, 2 for $10, 5 for $20, etc.). These can be used on various fitness bands (like the Fitbit, Nike Fuel Band) but you'll need to order the larger size to fit MagicBands.
Use code "wdwprepschool" at checkout to save 15%.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go.
Do you have other questions or thoughts about planning a deluxe family trip?
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments (but make sure you've listened to the episode first - I give way more info than what's written in the text here).