Today we’ll discuss adding a Disney cruise onto a Disney World trip with Melanie from DCLPrepSchool.com.
She’ll help us understand what’s included with the price of a Disney cruise, the logistics of getting there, and explain what Fish Extender gifts are.
I also have a quick tip to help you save on merchandise at Disney World.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Adding a Disney cruise to a Disney World trip
- Melanie recommends doing the land part of your trip first, followed by the cruise
- Book the two trips separately because there’s no financial benefit to booking it all as one trip through Disney
- Disney can provide transportation even if you book the items separately. DCL shuttles to get from Disney World to the port and from the port to WDW/airport are $35 each way per person
- You might also consider Mears shuttles, Uber, and rental cars to get to/from the port
- Keep information organized (stateroom number, reservation numbers, passport numbers, emergency contacts, onboard activities, flight info). A lot of this info will be handy when doing online check-in as well.
- Packing for a cruise is similar to Disney World, including comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes, swimsuits, external battery chargers, and something to pull hair back. Laundry rooms are available on the ship.
- Pirate and formal nights onboard will require special things to be packed that you wouldn’t normally need at Disney World.
- Important to keep in mind that the price of a Disney Cruise Line trip includes great dining, non-alcoholic drinks (including sodas), high quality entertainment, kids clubs with long operating hours (for ages 3-17), twice-a-day housekeeping, Disney character meets/parties, and 24-hour complimentary room service
- To make a trip more affordable, consider booking an interior room and/or taking advantage of onboard bounceback offers (usually 10% off)
- Families with older kids should consider booking an interior and exterior room to give everybody enough space
- Many people will participate in Fish Extender gift exchanges on Disney cruises. Groups can be found on message boards and in Facebook Groups. Get gift ideas at pinterest.com/dclprep.
Quick tip of the day
Check your receipt during your Disney World trip to see if a coupon has been included. For instance, there’s a current discount of 10% off of Disney Springs merchandise that’s included on receipts at most Magic Kingdom Quick Service restaurants.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe in Google Play
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- Meggan’s Thanksgiving week Disney World trip – PREP 386 - December 5, 2023
- Briana’s large family trip to Disney World – PREP 385 - November 28, 2023
- Disney World birthday trip with Savannah and her mom – PREP 384 - November 21, 2023