Disney California Adventure hosts many special events throughout the year that add even more excitement to this already popular park.
From Halloween's Oogie Boogie Bash, to Food & Wine, to a special celebration for the Lunar New Year, DCA has all kinds of unique offerings.
Oogie Boogie Bash — A Disney Halloween Party
Sept. 6-Oct. 31, 2019 (2020 Dates TBD)
The Oogie Boogie Bash is a seasonal Halloween party that takes place on select nights in the fall.
Ticket prices vary depending on the date and you can enter the park three hours prior, just like at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
The party includes:
- Villainous! World of Color: World of Color transforms into a Halloween spectacular featuring Oogie Boogie as the host and 9-year-old Shelley Marie who tries to decide her costume
- Mickey's Trick & Treat: An interactive stage show with Mickey, Minnie, and friends as they tell a story, dance, and give away treats
- Villains Grove: The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is completely transformed into a spooky, villainous trail that you won't want to miss
- Treat Trails: There are several trails to get candy and some even feature characters, including Dr. Facilier, the Evil Queen, the Mad Hatter from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, and Oogie Boogie himself
- DescenDANCE Dance Party: An upbeat dance party inspired by the Disney Channel Original Movie
- Frightfully Fun Parade: A parade with characters in Halloween costumes and the Headless Horseman even makes an appearance
- Oogie Boogie Bash Dining Package: An accompanying dining package that you must purchase separately in addition to the party; a 3-course meal and reserved viewing for the parade are included
- Character Meetings: There are unique villains that you can meet throughout the evening
Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival
Feb. 28-April 21, 2020
Along the same lines as the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival at Walt Disney World, DCA's Food & Wine Festival offers more than a dozen California-themed food and beverage booths called Festival Marketplaces, demonstrations, celebrity chefs, merchandise, entertainment, a hands-on "cooking" experience for kids with Chef Goofy, and more.
For an additional price, all guests (it was previously only available to Annual Passholders) can also purchase the Sip and Savor Pass that typically comes with a Food & Wine lanyard and a set number of coupons that are redeemable for select food and beverage offerings at specific marketplaces.
Sept. 6 - Oct. 31, 2019 (2020 Dates TBD)
In addition to Oogie Boogie Bash, there are many ways to celebrate Halloween at DCA and all you need is a park ticket (no need to purchase a special pass).
The park's Halloween time includes:
- Special Themed-Attractions: Guardians of the Galaxy — Monsters After Dark (runs from late afternoon through the evening, except for Oct. 31 when it runs all day) , Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween, and Mater's Graveyard JamBOOree
- Radiator "Screams'": Cars land is completely transformed with spook-tacular decorations and the characters are dressed up in costumes
- Other Special Elements: Don't miss the themed-food, merchandise, and other decorations, including the massive Oogie Boogie on the outside entrance, Buena Vista Street's black bats swarming Carthay Circle Theatre's bell tower, and the Headless Horseman statue
Plaza de la Familia
Sept. 6-Nov. 3, 2019 (2020 Dates TBD)
In celebration of Día de los Muertos, aka The Day of the Dead, and Pixar's Coco, Paradise Gardens Park transforms into the Plaza de la Familia.
The event includes some special entertainment featuring songs from Coco performed by the Storytellers of Plaza de la Familia, along with dancers and a Miguel puppet.
There are Mexican dishes on a special menu at Paradise Garden Grill, a photo opportunity with Miguel, and a moment for guests to honor loved ones at the Tree of Life by writing down memories.
Disney Festival of Holidays
Nov. 8-Jan. 6, 2020 (2020/2021 Dates TBD)
The festival in Paradise Gardens Park celebrates diverse cultural festivities and traditions with multicultural music, food, merchandise, and entertainment, including:
- Festival Foods Marketplace: A marketplace with a variety of food and beverage booths celebrating global traditions. Be sure to grab a Tasting Passport to keep track of everything you eat, along with a Sip and Savor Pass that's like DCA's Food & Wine.
- Disney ¡Viva Navidad!: A fiesta through the streets featuring the Three Caballeros, mariachi and samba musicians, 12-foot giant mojiganga puppets of Santa and Mrs. Claus, Mexico's Panchito, and José Carioca from Brazil
- Princess Elena's Grand Arrival: Princess Elena arrives on her royal float with friends and music following ¡Viva Navidad!
- World of Color — Season of Light: The projection water and light show transforms with holiday magic, music, snowflakes, and scenes from Disney and Pixar movies
- NEW 2019/2020 Events:
- A character celebration called "Mickey's Happy Holidays" featuring Disney and Pixar characters and the Holiday Toy Drummers. It happens twice daily at Paradise Gardens Park Obelisk and Carthay Circle
- The Holiday Sunset Concerts on the Palisades Stage feature The Suffragettes and Phat Cat Swinger, both covering holiday music in their own unique way
Santa's Holiday Visit
Nov. 8-Dec. 24, 2019 (2020 Dates TBD)
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail transforms into a holiday playground, where guests can meet Santa Claus (in Ahwahnee Camp Circle) and play seasonal games and outdoor activities, including an activity map to locate all the elfish games
Three Kings' Day
Jan. 3-6, 2020
Also known as El Día de los Reyes Magos, Three Kings' Day happens over four days in Paradise Gardens Park.
The celebration honors the Epiphany, aka the twelfth day of Christmas, and the Three Kings.
There are displays of Magi figures showing the gifts brought to Bethlehem and children's shoes that were left outside to be filled with toys.
There are also activities for kids, where they can color themed-pictures and design their own custom crown.
Nov. 8-Jan. 6, 2020 (2020/2021 Dates TBD)
In addition to the land being decorated for the holidays, the following rides have themed-overlays:
- Luigi's Joy to the Whirl: The attraction is the same, but features festive dances and tunes sang by Luigi
- Mater's Jingle Jamboree: The attraction is the same, but set to classic holiday songs sang by Mater
Buena Vista Street Lighting
Nov. 8-Jan. 6, 2020 (2020/2021 Dates TBD)
Lunar New Year
Jan. 12-Feb. 9, 2020
The Lunar New Year celebration honors various Asian cultures and celebrates the Year of the Mouse at Paradise Gardens Park with special food, character meetings, entertainment, and so much more.
Visitors can look forward to the following:
- Mulan's Lunar New Year Procession: This march includes music from Mulan, costumed performers, a Chinese dragon puppet, warriors, drummers, dancers, and of course, Mulan and Mushu
- Meet Characters: Meet Mickey, Minnie, Mushu, Mulan, and Pluto dressed in Lunar New Year costumes near Paradise Garden Grill
- Lucky Wishing Well: In Paradise Gardens, guests can spread a message of hope, health, and happiness for the upcoming year
- Lunar New Year Performances: Take place at the Paradise Garden Bandstand
- Paradise Garden Grill: Will offer Asian-inspired dishes
- Marketplaces: Food and beverage booths featuring Asian-inspired offerings
New Year's Eve Countdown
Dec. 31, 2019 (Dec. 31, 2020)
On New Year's Eve, guests can partake in a midnight countdown where World of Color takes place at Pixar Pier.
2020 Dates TBD
For Easter, an egg-themed scavenger hunt takes places across DCA, Disneyland Park, and Downtown Disney District. Typically, the event lasts for about two weeks and ends on Easter Sunday.
Participants will buy a map and stickers at select merchandise locations and then search for themed-Disney and Pixar character "eggs."
Whether you complete the map or not, you'll return your map to a redemption location for a surprise.
4th of July
July 4, 2020
Guests can watch a patriotic pre-show that runs prior to World of Color performances.
Paid Special Events
Disneyland After Dark
March 5 and April 30, 2020
Disneyland After Dark is a specially-ticketed event. Upcoming After Dark events include Pixar Nite (March 5) and Villains Nite (April 30). Each event includes special themed-entertainment, food, beverages, merchandise, character meet and greets, photo opportunities, and more.
Pixar Nite will feature interactive dance parties with the Incredibles family and characters from Monsters, Inc. Guests at Villains Nite can experience the Villains Cabaret with a cast of outlaws singing and dancing.
Disneyland Annual Passholders can purchase tickets on Dec. 3, 2019 and the general public can buy tickets starting Dec. 4, 2019. The price is $109 per person.
Select Nights in May and June 2020
- May 8, 9, 15, 16, 20, 26, 27, 29, or 30
- June 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, or 13
Grad Nights are a special event for high school seniors.
Here are the ticket options:
- Ticket Option 1 — Grad Nite Private Party Experience at DCA ($89 per person): Admission to the private party after 9 p.m., dance parties, access to attractions and entertainment, and characters dressed in their "graduation best"
- Ticket Option 2 — Full Day + Grad Nite Private Party Experience at DCA ($119 per person): Full day at DCA during regular park hours and then admission to the private party at DCA after 9 p.m.
- Ticket Option 3 — Park Hopper + Grad Nite Private Party Experience ($179 per person): Admission to both Disneyland and DCA during regular park hours and admission to the private party at DCA after 9 p.m.
CHOC Walk in the Park
2020 Dates TBD
Presented by Disneyland Resort, CHOC Walk in the Park benefits Children's Hospital of Orange County and is presented by Disneyland Resort.
Those participating create teams to walk a 5K through Disneyland and DCA.
The funds are raised for CHOC Children's programs and services in need, including health care programs, education, and research.
In order to register, each participant must pay a fee. Those who raise the fundraising minimum also receive discounts, including specially priced park tickets. 2020 marks CHOC Walk in the Park's 30th anniversary.