Disney California Adventure hosts many special events throughout the year that add even more excitement to this already popular park.
From Halloween’s Oogie Boogie Bash, to Food & Wine, to a special celebration for the Lunar New Year, DCA has all kinds of unique offerings.
UPDATE: The information below may be impacted by current reopening procedures. Please visit our Disneyland reopening guide for the most up-to-date information.
Oogie Boogie Bash — A Disney Halloween Party
Sept. 9-Oct. 31, 2021
The Oogie Boogie Bash is a seasonal Halloween party that takes place on 25 select nights in the fall.
Ticket prices vary depending on the date and you can enter the park three hours prior, just like at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
The party includes:
- Mickey’s Trick & Treat: An interactive stage show with Mickey, Minnie, and friends as they tell a story, dance, and give away treats
- Villains Grove: The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is completely transformed into a spooky, villainous trail that you won’t want to miss
- Treat Trails: There are several trails to get candy and some even featuring a range of characters, including Maleficent, the Evil Queen, and Oogie Boogie
- Frightfully Fun Parade: A parade with characters in Halloween costumes and the Headless Horseman even makes an appearance
- Character Meetings: There are unique villains that you can see throughout the evening
- Costumes: Adults and kids can wear Halloween costumes, but they must follow the costume guidelines
- Photo Ops: Disney PhotoPass photographers are around to take photos and digital photo downloads are included in the price of the event ticket
- Carthay Circle: Black bats decorate Carthay Circle’s Bell Tower and effects transform the building
Pricing starts at $114 per person. The party will run from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., but you can get into California Adventure starting at 3 p.m.
Tickets are currently sold out.
Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival
2021 Dates TBD
Along the same lines as the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival at Walt Disney World, DCA’s Food & Wine Festival offers more than a dozen California-themed food and beverage booths called Festival Marketplaces, demonstrations, celebrity chefs, merchandise, entertainment, a hands-on “cooking” experience for kids with Chef Goofy, and more.
For an additional price, all guests (it was previously only available to Annual Passholders) can also purchase the Sip and Savor Pass that typically comes with a Food & Wine lanyard and a set number of coupons that are redeemable for select food and beverage offerings at specific marketplaces.
Sept. 3-Oct. 31, 2021
In addition to Oogie Boogie Bash, there are many ways to celebrate Halloween at DCA and all you need is a park ticket and theme park reservation (no need to purchase a special pass).
The park’s Halloween time includes:
- Special Themed-Attractions: Guardians of the Galaxy — Monsters After Dark (runs from late afternoon through the evening, except for Oct. 31 when it runs all day) , Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-O-Ween, and Mater’s Graveyard JamBOOree
- Radiator “Screams'”: Cars land is completely transformed with spook-tacular decorations and the characters are dressed up in costumes
- Other Special Elements: Don’t miss the themed-food, merchandise, and other decorations, including the massive Oogie Boogie on the outside entrance, Buena Vista Street’s black bats swarming Carthay Circle Theatre’s bell tower, and the Headless Horseman statue
Plaza de la Familia
Sept. 3-Nov. 2, 2021
In celebration of Día de los Muertos, aka The Day of the Dead, and Pixar’s Coco, Paradise Gardens Park transforms into the Plaza de la Familia.
The event includes some special entertainment, “A Musical Celebration of Coco,” featuring songs from Coco performed by the Storytellers of Plaza de la Familia, along with dancers and a Miguel puppet.
There’s also Mariachi music at Paradise Gardens Bandstand, The World of Coco (an art exhibit), a photo opportunity with a hand-animated figure of Miguel, and the Arbol de la Vida (Tree of Life) photo location and memory wall.
Disney Festival of Holidays
Nov. 12, 2021-Jan. 9, 2022
The festival in Paradise Gardens Park celebrates diverse cultural festivities and traditions with multicultural music, food, merchandise, and entertainment, including:
- Festival Foods Marketplace: A marketplace with a variety of food and beverage booths celebrating global traditions. Be sure to grab a Sip and Savor Passport, which provides 8 entitlement tabs that you can redeem for select food and nonalcoholic beverages at participating Festival Foods Marketplace kiosks and dining locations.
- Disney ¡Viva Navidad!: This is a fun street party featuring Disney characters (like Mickey and Minnie in their “fiesta best”), Mexican folklórico dancers and Mariachis, Brazilian samba dancers and percussionists, and giant mojiganga puppets.
- Meet Mirabel from new Disney film Encanto: She’ll show up in Paradise Gardens later in the holiday season
- Mickey’s Happy Holidays: Mickey Mouse and pals dance to the magical merry rhythms of the Holiday Toy Drummers
- Mariachi Divas: festive spin on classic holiday tunes
- Mostly Kosher: honors Hanukkah with an eclectic blend of musical styles from klezmer and jazz to Latin and rock
- Blue13 Dance Company: salutes Diwali with traditional dances during a Bollywood party
- Phat Cat Swinger: brassy, classy, swinging and holiday music selections
- The Suffragettes: a cover band performing chart-topping hits from favorite musical artists
- Holiday Toy Drummers: march to their own beat while drumming
Santa’s Holiday Visit
Nov. 12-Dec. 24, 2021
From Nov. 12 through Dec. 24, 2021, you’ll be able to wave hello and snap photos of Santa Claus at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. The trail is also transformed into a holiday playground with seasonal games and outdoor activities.
Three Kings’ Day
Jan. 3-9, 2022
Also known as El Día de los Reyes Magos, Three Kings’ Day happens over four days in Paradise Gardens Park.
The celebration honors the Epiphany, aka the twelfth day of Christmas, and the Three Kings (the 3 Wise Men).
There are usually displays of Magi figures showing the gifts brought to Bethlehem and children’s shoes that were left outside to be filled with toys.
There are typically activities for kids, where they can color themed-pictures and design their own custom crown.
Nov. 12, 2021-Jan. 9, 2022
In addition to the land being decorated for the holidays, the following rides have themed-overlays:
- Luigi’s Joy to the Whirl: The attraction is the same, but features festive dances and tunes sang by Luigi
- Mater’s Jingle Jamboree: The attraction is the same, but set to classic holiday songs sang by Mater
Buena Vista Street Lighting
Nov. 12, 2021-Jan. 9, 2022
The 50-foot tree lights up in the plaza outside Elias & Co. daily (usually around 4:55 p.m.).
Lunar New Year
Jan. 12-Feb. 9, 2020 (2022 Dates TBD)
The Lunar New Year celebration honors various Asian cultures and celebrates the Year of the Mouse at Paradise Gardens Park with special food, character meetings, entertainment, and so much more.
Visitors can look forward to the following:
- Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession: This march includes music from Mulan, costumed performers, a Chinese dragon puppet, warriors, drummers, dancers, and of course, Mulan and Mushu
- Meet Characters: Meet Mickey, Minnie, Mushu, Mulan, and Pluto dressed in Lunar New Year costumes near Paradise Garden Grill
- Lucky Wishing Well: In Paradise Gardens, guests can spread a message of hope, health, and happiness for the upcoming year
- Lunar New Year Performances: Take place at the Paradise Garden Bandstand
- Paradise Garden Grill: Will offer Asian-inspired dishes
- Marketplaces: Food and beverage booths featuring Asian-inspired offerings
New Year’s Eve Countdown
Dec. 31, 2021
On New Year’s Eve, guests can partake in a midnight countdown where World of Color takes place at Pixar Pier.
2022 Dates TBD
All you have to do is pick up a board game and stickers (around $7.99 plus tax) at select retail locations, as you hunt for hidden Disney-themed “eggs” and place the corresponding stickers on your game board.
Even if you choose not to hunt for the eggs, simply return your board game to either the designated location(s) for a prize, which is usually one of six collectible eggs.
4th of July
July 4, 2021
Guests can watch a patriotic pre-show that runs prior to World of Color performances.
Paid Special Events
Disneyland After Dark
Disneyland After Dark is a specially-ticketed event. Villains Nite was originally scheduled for April 30, but it will not take place as planned. Disneyland is working on rescheduling options. We’ll provide more updates as soon as they become available.
A current Villains Nite ticket would be automatically eligible for the rescheduled event. If you no longer want to hold your current ticket, phone (714) 781-4636 for assistance.
The event includes special themed-entertainment, food, beverages, merchandise, character meet and greets, photo opportunities, and more. Guests at Villains Nite can also experience the Villains Cabaret with a cast of outlaws singing and dancing.
2022 Dates TBD
Grad Nights are a special event for high school seniors celebrating graduates at both Disney California Adventure and Disneyland.
This event was canceled for 2021.
CHOC Walk in the Park
2022 Dates TBD
Presented by Disneyland Resort, CHOC Walk in the Park benefits Children’s Hospital of Orange County and is presented by Disneyland Resort.
Those participating create teams to walk a 5K through Disneyland and DCA.
The funds are raised for CHOC Children’s programs and services in need, including health care programs, education, and research.
In order to register, each participant must pay a fee. Those who raise the fundraising minimum also receive discounts, including specially priced park tickets.
- A Taste of Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Ends On November 22
- Oogie Boogie Bash & More Halloween Fun Returning To Disneyland In Fall 2021
- Holidays Return To Disneyland November 2021 With A Parade & Fireworks
- Passholders Receive Discount At Select Festival Of The Holidays Kitchens
- New 2021 Holiday After Hours Event Coming To Disneyland Park