Disney California Adventure hosts many special events throughout the year that add even more excitement to this already popular park.
From Halloween’s Oogie Boogie Bash, to Food & Wine, to a special celebration for the Lunar New Year, DCA has all kinds of unique offerings.
Oogie Boogie Bash — A Disney Halloween Party
Sept. 6-Oct. 31, 2022 (2023 dates TBD)
The Oogie Boogie Bash is a seasonal Halloween party that usually takes place on 23-25 select nights in the fall.
Ticket prices vary depending on the date and you can enter the park three hours prior, just like at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
The party includes:
- Mickey’s Trick & Treat: An interactive stage show with Mickey, Minnie, and friends as they tell a story, dance, and give away treats
- Villains Grove: The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is completely transformed into a spooky, villainous trail that you won’t want to miss
- Treat Trails: There are several trails to get candy and some even featuring a range of characters, including Oogie Boogie, Maleficent, and Ernesto de la Cruz
- Frightfully Fun Parade: A parade with characters in Halloween costumes and the Headless Horseman even makes an appearance
- Character Meetings: There are unique villains that you can see throughout the evening
- Costumes: Adults and kids can wear Halloween costumes, but they must follow the costume guidelines
- Photo Ops: Disney PhotoPass photographers are around to take photos and digital photo downloads are included in the price of the event ticket
- Carthay Circle: Black bats decorate Carthay Circle’s Bell Tower and effects transform the building
Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival
March 3-April 25, 2023 (2024 dates TBD)
Along the same lines as the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival at Walt Disney World, DCA’s Food & Wine Festival offers more than a dozen California-themed food and beverage booths called Festival Marketplaces, demonstrations, celebrity chefs, merchandise, entertainment, a hands-on “cooking” experience for kids with Chef Goofy, and more.
For an additional price, all guests can also purchase the Sip and Savor Pass that typically comes with a Food & Wine lanyard and a set number of coupons that are redeemable for select food and beverage offerings at specific marketplaces.
Sept. 2-Oct. 31, 2022 (2023 dates TBD)
In addition to Oogie Boogie Bash, there are many ways to celebrate Halloween at DCA and all you need is a park ticket and theme park reservation (no need to purchase a special pass).
The park’s Halloween time includes:
- Special Themed-Attractions: Guardians of the Galaxy — Monsters After Dark (runs from late afternoon through the evening, except for Oct. 31 when it runs all day) , Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-O-Ween, and Mater’s Graveyard JamBOOree
- Radiator “Screams'”: Cars land is completely transformed with spook-tacular decorations and the characters are dressed up in costumes
- Other Special Elements: Don’t miss the themed-food, merchandise, and other decorations, including the massive Oogie Boogie on the outside entrance, Buena Vista Street’s black bats swarming Carthay Circle Theatre’s bell tower, and the Headless Horseman statue
Plaza de la Familia
Sept. 2-Nov. 2, 2022 (2023 dates TBD)
In celebration of Día de los Muertos, aka The Day of the Dead, and Pixar’s Coco, Paradise Gardens Park transforms into the Plaza de la Familia.
The event includes some special entertainment, “A Musical Celebration of Coco,” featuring songs from Coco performed by the Storytellers of Plaza de la Familia, along with dancers and a Miguel puppet.
There’s also Mariachi music at Paradise Gardens Bandstand, The World of Coco (an art exhibit), a photo opportunity with a hand-animated figure of Miguel, and the Arbol de la Vida (Tree of Life) photo location and memory wall.
Disney Festival of Holidays
Nov. 11, 2022-Jan. 8, 2023 (2023-2024 dates TBD)
The festival in Paradise Gardens Park celebrates diverse cultural festivities and traditions with multicultural music, food, merchandise, and entertainment, including:
- Festival Foods Marketplace: A marketplace with a variety of food and beverage booths celebrating global traditions. Be sure to grab a Sip and Savor Passport, which provides 8 entitlement tabs that you can redeem for select food and nonalcoholic beverages at participating Festival Foods Marketplace kiosks and dining locations.
- Disney ¡Viva Navidad!: This is a fun street party featuring Disney characters (like Mickey and Minnie in their “fiesta best”), Mexican folklórico dancers and Mariachis, Brazilian samba dancers and percussionists, and giant mojiganga puppets.
- Meet Mirabel from new Disney film Encanto: She’ll show up in Paradise Gardens later in the holiday season
- Mickey’s Happy Holidays: Mickey Mouse and pals dance to the magical merry rhythms of the Holiday Toy Drummers
- Mirabel: can meet the Encanto lead in Paradise Gardens
- Bands, like Mariachi Divas and Mostly Kosher
- Holiday Toy Drummers: march to their own beat while drumming
Santa’s Holiday Visit
Nov. 11-Dec. 24, 2022 (2023 dates TBD)
From Nov. 11 through Dec. 24, 2022, you’ll be able to meet Santa Claus at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. The trail is also transformed into a holiday playground with seasonal games and outdoor activities.
Three Kings’ Day
2023 dates TBD
Also known as El Día de los Reyes Magos, Three Kings’ Day happens over four days in Paradise Gardens Park.
The celebration honors the Epiphany, aka the twelfth day of Christmas, and the Three Kings (the 3 Wise Men).
There are usually displays of Magi figures showing the gifts brought to Bethlehem and children’s shoes that were left outside to be filled with toys.
There are typically activities for kids, where they can color themed-pictures and design their own custom crown.
Nov. 11, 2022-Jan. 8, 2023 (2023-2024 dates TBD)
In addition to the land being decorated for the holidays, the following rides have themed-overlays:
- Luigi’s Joy to the Whirl: The attraction is the same, but features festive dances and tunes sang by Luigi
- Mater’s Jingle Jamboree: The attraction is the same, but set to classic holiday songs sang by Mater
Buena Vista Street Lighting
Nov. 11, 2022-Jan. 8, 2023 (2023-2024 dates TBD)
The 50-foot tree lights up in the plaza outside Elias & Co. daily (usually around 4:55 p.m.).
Lunar New Year
Jan. 20-Feb. 15, 2023 (2024 dates TBD)
The Lunar New Year celebration pays tribute to Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese cultures with a multicultural celebration filled with auspicious wishes for the new year.
In 2023, the event will celebrate the Year of the Rabbit and also recognize the Vietnamese zodiac calendar during the Lunar New Year celebration, which marks 2023 as the Year of the Cat.
There’s also special food, character meetings, entertainment, and so much more.
You can look forward to the following:
- Characters: Mulan and Mushu, Mickey and Minnie, and more characters in festive attire.
- Raya from Raya and the Last Dragon (debuted in 2022 and will return in 2023): You can see Raya in a setting inspired by her native Kumandra, recreated in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.
- Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession: This performance features Mulan as host, Mushu, and dozens of spirited parade performers as they honor family, friendship, and the potential for a fortune-filled new year. In 2023, it will extend throughout all of the park along the parade route from Paradise Gardens through Hollywood Land.
- Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration (returning in 2023): a nighttime water show telling the tale of a little lantern’s quest to reunite with family for the annual celebration and is presented prior to World of Color
- Paradise Garden Bandstand: Live musical entertainment.
- Sip and Savor Pass: You can purchase this pass as you eat your way through several Lunar New Year marketplaces, all featuring Asian cuisine.
- Lunar New Year-Inspired Food & Beverage: These special offerings will be available at select dining locations throughout the park.
- Lunar New Year Traditions: A Lucky Wishing Wall, Chinese calligraphy, and more craft activities.
New Year’s Eve Countdown
Dec. 31, 2022
On New Year’s Eve, guests can partake in a midnight countdown where World of Color takes place at Pixar Pier.
2023 Dates TBD
All you have to do is pick up a board game and stickers (around $7.99 plus tax) at select retail locations, as you hunt for hidden Disney-themed “eggs” and place the corresponding stickers on your game board.
Even if you choose not to hunt for the eggs, simply return your board game to either the designated location(s) for a prize, which is usually one of six collectible eggs.
4th of July
July 4, 2023
Guests can watch a patriotic pre-show that runs prior to World of Color performances.
Paid Special Events
Disneyland After Dark
2023 dates TBD
Disneyland After Dark is a specially-ticketed event. Villains Nite is a past After Dark event occurred at Disney California Adventure.
Events usually include special themed-entertainment, food, beverages, merchandise, character meet and greets, photo opportunities, and more.
Stay tuned for more details, including themes, tickets, and pricing.
2023 Dates are as follows (2024 Dates TBD)
May: 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 25, 30, 31
June: 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 16
Grad Nights are a special event for high school seniors celebrating graduates at both Disney California Adventure and Disneyland.
There are 3 ticket options:
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience at DCA (Tues-Thurs: $99 per person; Fri/Sun: $104 per person): After 9 p.m., Grads get exclusive access to DCA.
- Full day at DCA plus admission to the Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience (Tues-Thurs: $129 per person; Fri/Sun: $134 per person): Enjoy a full day at DCA, plus admission to Disneyland Resort Nite Private Party Experience at DCA beginning at 9 p.m.
- Park Hopper experience to both parks plus admission to the exclusive Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience at DCA ((Tues-Thurs: $199 per person; Fri/Sun: $219 per person)): Grads can access both Disneyland and DCA on the same day during normal operating hours, then wrap up the night at the exclusive private party experience with other Grads starting at 9 p.m.
Registration is now closed. For more information, contact Group Travel Operations 1-800-232-7980 or email [email protected].
CHOC Walk in the Park
Aug. 27, 2022 (2023 dates TBD)
CHOC Walk in the Park benefits Children’s Hospital of Orange County and is presented by Disneyland Resort. Participants form teams to walk a 5K through Disneyland and DCA.
With every step, funds are raised for CHOC Children’s programs and services in need, including health care programs, education, and research. In order to register, each participant must pay a fee.
Those who raise the fundraising minimum also receive discounts, including specially priced park tickets.
- 2023 Lunar New Year & Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival Dates Announced
- Disneyland Announces 2022 Holiday Events, Including World of Color – Season of Light
- Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Returning In August 2022
- Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Tickets Go On Sale In June, Plus More Disneyland Halloween Details
- World of Color Dining & Dessert Packages Announced