Most people take hundreds or thousands of pics during their trips. I’ve learned some things within the last few years that can help you improve them and I share my Disney World photography tips with you in this episode.
I also have a not-so-quick tip on buying luggage for your trip.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Disney World photography tips
Before your trip:
- Make sure you have enough memory space for pics.
- Before every trip, I use Dropbox to back up all pics, and then the Bulk Delete app to clear out the main camera roll.
- Planning to edit pics during trip? Install and learn apps beforehand to do that.
- Turn your flash off by default. It should only be used in rare instance when you need extra light on something close to you.
- Get to know all of your phone/camera options beforehand.
During your trip:
- Take lots and lots of photos so you can choose the best ones later
- Don’t take pics/videos of things that have better versions on YouTube
- When taking pics, hold your camera at eye level, not above your head
- When taking and editing pics, focus on composition. Follow the rule of thirds or make things symmetrical, have a focal point, simplify pics by removing things that are distracting, zoom in if that makes more sense, use lines/paths to draw your eye, frame your pic with natural frames like trees or doorways. Check out Tony Northrup’s tips to learn more.
- You’ll almost always want to crop your pics before using them.
- Edit your pics, but don’t use filters. You can adjust settings manually with built-in tools, but I use presets in the Camera+ app.
Quick tip of the day
Some tips when buying luggage:
- Consider hard-sided luggage for durability and protection from the rain
- Dark colors often work better for wear and tear, but maybe pick a color other than black so it stands out on baggage carousel
- Pick luggage with spinners to make it easy to use
- Choose lightweight luggage to make it easier to meet luggage weight limits on flights
- Brands like Samsonite and Travelpro Crew are popular. American Tourister has a line of Disney bags.
- Shopping at stores like TJ Maxx and Ross Dress for Less can be a good way to save money on brand name luggage, though full sets are harder to find.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe in Google Play
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- Dishing with Bethany Vinton – PREP 375 - September 19, 2023
- Disney cruise from England to Norwegian Fjords – PREP 374 - September 12, 2023
- Alise’s quick mother-daughter trip to Disney World – PREP 373 - September 5, 2023