Deciding whether or not to get the Disney Dining Plan isn’t as easy to figure out as it used to be, but today I have some Disney Dining Plan tips to help you decide and help you to maximize your dining plan credits during your trip.
I also have a quick tip just in case somebody gets sick during your Disney World trip.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Leave me a message
Want to be considered for a first-timer trip report? Please leave me a SpeakPipe message with your name, trip dates, resort, and who is in your group.
You can do that using your computer or phone at https://www.speakpipe.com/WDWPrepToGo.
Watch on YouTube
WDW Prep To Go episodes are now on YouTube! Watch this episode at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG8EbWRcusg and be sure to hit subscribe.
Disney Dining Plan tips
What is the Disney Dining Plan?
- Prepaid credits for food
- Disney Dining Plan is part of a package that includes tickets
- Can also be part of a DVC reservation that doesn’t require tickets
- Three basic types of dining plans – Quick Service, Regular, and Deluxe
- Credits are based on how many nights you are staying
- Everybody on the reservation must have the same plan for the whole trip
- Can use credits whenever you want until midnight of your checkout day
What does a credit include?
- Quick Service – entree (or combo meal, where available) and a beverage
- Table Service – entree and beverage. Lunch and dinner also include dessert.
- Snack – noted on menus with a little DDP icon
- 2017 beverages: soft drinks, tea, coffee, lemonade
- 2018 beverages: all of the above + beer, wine, shakes
Disney Dining Plan tips for maximizing credits
- Character meals and dining packages are generally a great use of a Table Service credit.
- Signature Restaurants are almost never a good credit value.
- Go for the steak, lobster, shakes, and orange juice.
- Don’t choose breakfast.
- Split credits when portions are large.
- Choose snacks that cost $5 or more.
- DDP charts – https://wdwprepschool.com/disney-dining-plan-credits/
- Best places to split Table Service meals – https://facebook.com/WDWPrepSchool/posts/1499200403451573
- Best places to split Quick Service meals – https://www.facebook.com/WDWPrepSchool/posts/1323827770988838
My Disney Experience app/website Disney Dining Plan tips
- When searching for DDP restaurants, don’t filter for the next year. Instead, filter for restaurants for the current year since many restaurants are slow to be added.
- The My Disney Experience app will now allow you to track credits during your trip.
DDP credit tips
- Quick Service credits are not split between adult and child
- Can use DDP credits anytime during your trip (until midnight on your checkout day) and for anybody
- Epcot festival booths have great snack credits
Refillable mug tips
- Mix and match lids to create unique color combos for groups of 5+
- Pour refillable drinks into disposable cups when heading to a park
- At your resort, get a bottled drink with a QS credit and use refillable mug for your drink
Who should get a Disney Dining Plan?
- People who want an all-inclusive feel
- People planning to eat at the most expensive restaurants
- People who get it for free (but verify it’s your best deal)
Quick tip of the day
Listener Emily emailed in this tip:
“We just returned from a Disney World trip. I, unfortunately, came down with a super bad stomach bug halfway through. After 2.5 really unpleasant days, we finally called our trip insurance for help. They connected us with DOCS – Doctors On Call Service. The doctor came to our resort room, brought his entire exam room with him in a rolling office suitcase, and dispended medication I needed to feel better all right there on the spot.
He also had a pharmacy on standby that delivered additional medication to the front desk of our hotel and charged it to our room. If we’d known about this service sooner, we wouldn’t have missed some park touring days. I’m still really glad we called. You pay cash for the service, but they give you all the paperwork you need to file with your insurance afterward. And we had trips insurance that will be primary on the medical, so it will be 100% covered.
We also spoke to the front desk concierge staff at our All-Star Sports Resort about missing some park days, and they gave us additional park tickets in our My Disney Experience account to come back and use anytime in the next 5 years.”
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe in Google Play
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️