Anytime a mainstream media source tries to give advice on how to plan a Disney World trip, I cringe because I know they are going to mess it up.
Today, I have 5 bits of bad advice that I’ve heard a lot and some good advice that you can use instead.
I also have a quick tip on choosing FastPass+ reservations based on how fun the line is.
So much has changed since we first published this podcast.
In the years since this episode was first released, we’ve added some additional resources that you’ll definitely want to check out. You can find all that info in the notes below.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
5 pieces of bad advice
There’s a lot of bad advice floating around but here are 5 things I often hear that aren’t good:
- Choose the park you’ll visit each day based on some arbitrary factor like which bus arrives first or the weather. I would suggest being more strategic about it and using the PDF of best/worst parks per day that are posted on the monthly dashboards.
- Save money on park tickets by purchasing from a ticket broker. Deep discounts on park tickets are hard to find so be leery of these operations which are selling used tickets which may not work and could get you in trouble. Update: We’ve added an entire post all about Disney World Tickets to help you with all the ins and outs of Disney World ticket purchases.
- Park at Downtown Disney to avoid parking fees. There are not direct buses between Downtown Disney and the parks so park in the parking lot where you’ll be spending the day instead of spending 90 minutes getting to and from to save a few dollars. Update: Downtown Disney is now called “Disney Springs” and it is still a bad idea to park there, BUT we do have an entire post all about Parking at Disney World that can help you understand how parking works at both the parks and resorts.
- Wing it in the parks. Not a good idea to go into the parks without a plan. I suggest being structured from park opening through lunch and then being spontaneous the rest of the day. My touring plans are set up with that in mind.
- Yell “Andy is coming” to make the Toy Story characters drop. No, this is too dangerous for the characters and won’t actually work.
Quick tip of the day
Many people ask me if they should avoid choosing FastPass+ for rides that have good queues. I don’t generally suggest that as a good strategy but you might consider doing that for Haunted Mansion (which has a separate line you can enter to explore the interactive elements) or Dumbo (which has an indoor play area for kids to enjoy while they wait).
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go.
What other bad advice have you heard? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
- Blizzard Beach Set To Reopen At Walt Disney World In March 2021
- Walt Disney World Releases Date-Based, Multi-Day Ticket Update
- Disney World Offers Passholders Discounted Water Park Tickets & New Magnet
- Florida Resident Discover Disney Ticket Returns In January 2021
- Disneyland Shares Details For Park Reservation System & Ticket Sales
- Ken & Emily from Mousehacking first trip w/a baby – PREP281 - July 9, 2021
- Rachel’s June Friend Trip – PREP280 - July 2, 2021
- Disney Reveals Special Evening Hours & Early Park Entry Debut For The 50th - June 30, 2021