How do you solve a problem like Hollywood Studios? While the changes taking place there will be exciting in a few years, it’s hard to know what to do in the meantime.
I have advice on how you might want to handle it. I also have news, a featured company that will help you save money on Deluxe Resorts, and a quick tip on which Deluxe Resorts you might pick.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Call in your non-Disney World questions
If you have a non-Disney World question about websites, podcasts, business, personal stuff, etc., please leave me a SpeakPipe message and I’ll put them together for a show at the end of the year. You can do that by downloading the SpeakPipe app or using your computer at https://www.speakpipe.com/WDWPrepToGo.
Planning for Hollywood Studios
- Recent closures (or closure announcements) include: Backlot Tour, American Idol, Magic of Disney Animation Building, Mulch Sweat & Shears, Osborne Lights, and Frozen Summer Fun has ended
- Rumored upcoming closures: Voyage of the Little Mermaid, One Man’s Dream, Fantasmic (could just be temporary as none are scheduled after January), Lights Motors Action, and Star Wars Weekends
- New things coming: Great Movie Ride updates, 3rd track coming soon to Toy Story Mania, Star Wars Launch Bay, Star Wars show, Season of the Force
- People that will be most happy with Hollywood Studios are those who are fans of Star Wars, Frozen (especially if Frozen Fun returns in some form), Disney Jr characters, and the main attractions at Hollywood Studios
- FastPass+ is very important since there are so few attractions to hold everybody
- Since so many of the filler attractions have closed (or are rumored to be closing), I really think Hollywood Studios is a half-day park. Might make sense to rope drop another park without any FP+ and then hop to Hollywood Studios later in the day.
- The Food and Wine Festival map is available. You can find that (plus overview info) in my F&W guide.
- April 2016 park hours are still not available.
- The 3rd track for Toy Story Mania was thought to be opening in 2016, but it might actually be opening in late 2015.
- Narcoossee’s (located at The Grand Floridian) is now offering a waterfront brunch.
- Jock Lindsay’s Hangar Bar is opening in Downtown Disney/Disney Springs on September 22.
Today’s featured company is DVC Request, a site that allows you to rent points to stay in Disney World villas. To read about how that works, check out my DVC point rental info.
Quick tip of the day
If you want to stay in a Deluxe Resort that is completely enclosed (lobby, restaurants, rooms, etc.), there are 3 great resorts for that – Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, and The Beach Club.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go (if you’re used to listening on the website, subscribe so you can take new episodes with you on your phone)
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
- Disney After Hours Returning to Disney World in 2023
- 2022 Disney+ Subscriber Holiday Offer Announced For Walt Disney World Resort
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholder 2022 Holiday Room Discount Now Available
- Summer 2023 Disney Visa Cardmember Offer Announced For Select Disney World Resort Hotels
- Fantasmic Returns to Hollywood Studios in November 2022
- Erin C.’s trip with two little ones to Disney World– PREP 358 - May 23, 2023
- What is the best way to get from MCO to WDW? - May 16, 2023
- Competing at The Summit and a Disney World vacation with Misty O – PREP 357 - May 16, 2023
Wednesday 23rd of September 2015
Hello! I'm a new podcast listener and fan. Is there any ideas when some of these attractions are reopening, if ever? We are going to Disney in May 2016 and we already purchased our non-park hopper passes. Originally we weren't going to do HS and do AK since I heard most people can get through AK in a half day. Wondering if it's worth making reservations for dinner and planning a day in HS or if we should stick to our original plan of doing AK. My boys are going to be 2 & 5 when we do Disney.
Tuesday 22nd of September 2015
We'll be there the week after President's Weekend in February and I had originally planned on doing HS at rope drop without FP and heading to Epcot for the afternoon/evening with FP. We have a 2 year old and are DVC members with frequent trips so we don't care too much about not doing the thrill rides at HS this time around. Would you still recommend switching up our plans and doing rope drop at Epcot with FP at HS later in the day? Thanks!
Monday 21st of September 2015
So if we are coming the last week of January do you think that it will still be a good idea then to only do half day? I am trying to decide if a park hopper is worth it, we were originally going to just do one park a day.
Monday 21st of September 2015
Hi Shannon! Do you think fast passes are necessary for the frozen singalong? We are going in November (first and husband says only time). Right now I have one for toy story mania, star tours and frozen but wasn't sure if I really needed one for frozen and if I should swap it for tower of terror.
Sunday 20th of September 2015
Does it look like crowd levels will rise in Nov and Dec due to the announcement of the last year of Osborne Lighrs? It already looks like resort rooms are selling out.