If you’re a big fan of the original MagicBand, then you’re probably going to love MagicBand+.
Disney never stops at just one idea or a single version of a product, do they?
The company is always looking to improve, redesign, and, of course, sell something to its audience that guests in turn will hopefully love (and keep buying).
Enter MagicBand+, the upgrade to the MagicBand. This is basically a fancy new MagicBand that costs more and comes with updated features.
To be clear, the MagicBand+ has yet to debut and is not for sale yet. But, here we discuss what we know — so far.
Below we discuss everything there is to know about MagicBand+, including how much it costs, its features, available styles, and how it differs from MagicBands.
Let’s get to it!
What is MagicBand+?
MagicBand+ is described as “the next-generation wearable technology.”
This new version includes all of the same features as a regular MagicBand with some interactive additions.
When does MagicBand+ launch?
While no official launch date has been revealed, we do know MagicBand+ is set to launch in summer 2022 at Disney World.
After MagicBand+ prematurely hit the World of Disney shelves at Disney Springs on May 1, Disney commented (via Scott Gustin Twitter), “Disney says a limited number of MagicBand+ bands were sold earlier today. They removed the bands from the store and are offering refunds. MB+ features/in-park experiences are not live and are planned to launch later this year. Details (and a launch date) will be revealed later.”
Even though an official launch date hasn’t been given, you can expect to begin using MagicBand+ sometime this summer at Disney World.
How does MagicBand+ work?
You wear MagicBand+ on your wrist just like you do a normal MagicBand. But, it’s more decked out.
MagicBand+ also allows you to engage with different Disney moments after you enter a theme park.
Now, here’s the cool part:
The band reacts to park interactions with color-changing light effects, haptic vibrations, and gesture recognition.
- The color-changing lights are customizable
- The haptic vibrations let you feel the magic with light vibrations that bring experiences to life
- Gesture recognition simply means your movement enables magical surprises
- Interactive smart speaker experiences
- A rechargeable battery and charging cable to keep the band going (it’s unclear if these are included or a separate purchase)
- Smartphone/Bluetooth connectivity allowing you to customize and manage your band
You’ll also be able to use MagicBand+ to engage with the following.
Take on the role of a bounty hunter
MagicBand+ lets you become a bounty hunter in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Hollywood Studios and find virtual bounties throughout Black Spire Outpost.
You can use your MagicBand+ to find numerous virtual bounties hidden throughout Black Spire Outpost.
MagicBand+ will be your guide, vibrating, and lighting up to show if you’re on the right path. Once a mission is complete, the local guild master will reward them with galactic credits.
While playing “Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters,” you can use the Play Disney Parks Mobile app to help reveal your virtual bounty using the built-in augmented reality thermal viewer.
Interact with the Disney Fab 50 Character Collection
Called “Disney Fab 50 Quest,” you can embark on a scavenger hunt throughout the 4 Disney World theme parks using MagicBand+ to help spread pixie dust and interact with the special gold anniversary statues.
The Play Disney Parks mobile app allows you to also keep track of the sculptures you find and unlock digital achievements.
As soon as you get close to a Fab 50 statue, your MagicBand+ will start to buzz and light up.
Then, you simply give a big wave to help “spread your pixie dust.” Your band will also light up with 50th anniversary colors and then you’ll hear a sound or message from that particular character.
Watch nighttime spectaculars in a new way
During nighttime shows, like Harmonious at Epcot and Disney Enchantment at Magic Kingdom, your MagicBand+ lights up and complements the magic in the skies.
Use it with Alexa
While we still don’t know many details about this, MagicBand+ will work with the new “Hey Disney!” voice assistant coming to Disney World and Disneyland hotels sometime in 2022.
The two new forms of technology will be paired with supported Amazon Echo devices to enhance some “Hey Disney!” experiences.
In general, guests will be able to ask “Hey Disney!” questions about park hours, dining information, and even make specific guest service requests, like extra towels or room service.
MagicBand+ has the same functions as MagicBand, including:
- Unlock the door of your Walt Disney World Resort hotel room
- Enter any of the Disney World theme parks and water parks
- Redeem Genie+ and individual Lightning Lane selections
- Charge items, including food/beverages and merchandise, to your resort room (only if staying onsite)
- Redeem Disney Dining Plan credits (only if staying onsite) — this service is temporarily suspended but Disney has confirmed the Disney Dining Plan will return in the future
- Link PhotoPass images to your account
How much does MagicBand+ cost?
You’ll be able to purchase MagicBand+ sometime in 2022.
As for cost, based on the following screenshot that was featured during a 2022 Disney survey, the price of MagicBand+ could range between $29.99 and $49.99, depending on style.
- Solid Color MagicBand+: $29.99 (this pricing was confirmed when MagicBand+ prematurely hit shelves on May 1, 2022)
- Graphic MagicBand+: $49.99
There will also be a discounted, pre-arrival price for Disney Resort hotel guests and also renewing Disney World Annual Passholders.
How do I order MagicBand+?
More than likely, you’ll be able to order MagicBand+ through the official Walt Disney World website, either through shopDisney.com or through your Disney account if you have a vacation package booked.
You should also be able to buy them in person at select stores in the parks.
Where is MagicBand+ available?
MagicBand+ will be available for both Walt Disney World and Disneyland guests in 2022.
This is the first time Disneyland will implement the bands. They do not offer or use MagicBands.
As for Disneyland, all we know is the interactive bands are set to launch sometime in 2022 and they will also vary slightly compared to those available at Disney World.
Is MagicBand+ water proof?
Yes, just like MagicBands, MagicBand+ is also water proof.
Remember: current MagicBands are still available and will continue to be alongside the launch of MagicBand+. The same with MagicMobile.
Once MagicBand+ officially debuts, we will update this post accordingly.
- Disney Announces New MagicBand+, Launching In 2022
- Disneyland Testing Hybrid Standby & Virtual Queue For Rise Of The Resistance
- New Paid FastPass System Coming To Disney World & Disneyland
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure Will Use A Virtual Queue
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure At Epcot Dropping Virtual Queue In January