Lots of people plan their Disney World trips around celebrating a special event.
Today, I’ve got tips for extra things you can do for those special occasions, including some free options and some that are expensive but highly customizable.
I’ve also got a quick tip on how I suggest booking those hard-to-get reservations so that you have the best chance of getting them.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for more information.
Ways to celebrate at Disney World
Here are some ideas for ways to acknowledge your special occasion:
- Get free buttons. There are free buttons available for many occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, 1st visit, etc.) available at Disney resorts and guest services in the theme parks. You can also make your own using my templates for special occasions that aren’t covered with the buttons Disney provides.
- Note your occasion on all dining reservations. Make sure your special event is noted on every dining reservation and tell the Cast Member when you check in as well. Many restaurants do special things like give you autographed cards and/or special birthday desserts, though it’s not guaranteed.
- Order a cake. For a more predictable dessert, you can have a custom cake prepared. This is available at most Table Service restaurants. You have the choice of lots of flavors, sizes, themes and occasions. Please see the DisneyFoodBlog.com cake ordering FAQ for all of the details.
- Order something from Disney Florist. This is the only company that can deliver to your resort room. They can do everything from gift baskets to decorating the whole room.
- Plan a special event with GiftsofaLifetime.com. You can have something special delivered to someone at an attraction, have them plan a scavenger hunt, etc. Anything you can imagine, they can help you pull off.
- Buy Mickey ears. You can buy Mickey ears themed for birthdays, bride/groom, special characters, etc. Getting them at The Chapeau at Magic Kingdom is usually the best option. Monogramming is available.
- Get a child’s first haircut. At Harmony Barbershop in Magic Kingdom, there’s a package for a child getting their first haircut. The package is $18 and includes a certificate, pouch of your child’s hair and Mickey ears. You can book that by calling 407-WDW-PLAY.
- Book a cruise. Illuminations and Wishes cruises are pontoon boats for up to 10 people that take you on a boat ride and then you watch the fireworks show from the boat. These cruises cost $346 and you can add birthday decorations for an additional $25. I recommend booking these 180 days in advance by calling 407-WDW-PLAY.
- Book the Her Royal Highness Package. This package is available at Cinderella’s Royal Table and includes a princess balloon, tiara, birthday cake (Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Tiana or Cinderella). It costs $112 on top of your meal and the contents of the package can be revised if needed. Book by calling 407-824-4477 or email [email protected] You’ll need to book at least 7 days before you will be there.
- Have a birthday party. Goofy’s Candy Company in Downtown Disney has 1.5 hour parties you can book for up to 12 people ages 3-12. You can choose between princess and science themes and the cost is $367 ($25 extra per person over 12, up to 15 people total). The party includes a treat, build-a-cup, glow accessories, autographed pics, games, balloon, invitations, thank you notes, and a gumball machine or glass slipper. You can book by calling 407-WDW-BDAY.
Quick tip of the day
I recommend booking your reservations online 180 days before your trip begins because the website is available 1 hour earlier than the phone lines (the website is available at 6 a.m. vs. 7 a.m. for the phones).
I recommend having your DisneyWorld.com account setup before this day and have your credit card handy for those reservations that require it. I would also suggest having the phone number on hand (407-WDW-DINE) in case the website is having technical issues.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go.
- 2022 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages Now Available To Book
- Disney Park Pass System Extended Through Early January 2023
- New 2021 Walt Disney World Room & Ticket Package Announced
- Animal Kingdom Adds Capture Your Moment Sessions Starting May 17
- New 2021 Spring Into Magic Walt Disney World Offers Now Available