If you’re reading this then you probably know that there is more planning involved for a Disney World trip than you’ll find with many other vacations.
But, when do packages for the following year actually open up?
In this article (click to expand)
Packages are now available for travel dates through July 1, 2022
The early bird gets the worm! Or, at least that’s what it felt like when Disney surprised everyone by releasing Vacation Packages for the first half of 2022 in February.
Long-time Disney World visitors will know that is very early, considering that typically packages for the following year aren’t released until June or July.
It is important to note that not all resorts may be available to book. These are the resorts that are NOT currently accepting reservations:
- Animal Kingdom Lodge (non DVC)
- All-Star Music Resort
- All-Star Sports Resort
- BoardWalk Inn
- Port Orleans – Riverside Resort
- Port Orleans – French Quarter
And, these are the resorts that ARE available to book or opening in 2021:
- All-Star Movies Resort (Reopening March 22, 2021)
- Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Art of Animation Resort
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Beach Club Resort (Reopening May 20, 2021)
- Beach Club Villas
- BoardWalk Villas
- Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Caribbean Beach Resort
- Contemporary Resort
- Coronado Springs Resort
- Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Old Key West Resort
- Polynesian Village Resort (Reopening Summer 2021)
- Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Pop Century Resort
- Riviera Resort
- Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Wilderness Lodge (Reopening June 6, 2021)
Notable changes in 2021 packages
Lots of things have been changing in regards to Disney World vacation planning, including package details. Here’s a few important things to note:
- Disney Dining Plans are currently not available to add to packages but they are expected later. If you have booked a package you would be able to add that to your existing reservation when that happens.
- Beginning in January 2021, air travel will no longer be offered through Disney. You will need to secure that on your own.
- Also new for 2021, complimentary MagicBands will not be included. Guests will still be able to purchase a MagicBand if they want, or if they’d rather they’ll be able to use their phone or a Key to the World card that can be picked up at the front desk of your resort.
Notable changes in 2022 packages
- As previously announced, Disney’s Magical Express will no longer be offered beginning Jan. 1, 2022.
- Disney Dining Plans remain unavailable at this time.
- Normal terms and conditions for final payments, cancellations, and change fees will apply for all 2022 vacation bookings.
- Minnie Vans remain unavailable for bookings.
- Guests will continue to no longer receive complimentary MagicBands, which were suspended at the beginning of January 2021.
- Select Disney resort hotels remain unavailable to book, as they have yet to receive opening dates. This doesn’t mean they won’t reopen come 2022, but, right now, we aren’t sure when they will open again. These resorts include: All Star Music, All Star Sports, Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House DVC villas are available), BoardWalk Inn, Port Orleans – French Quarter, and Port Orleans – Riverside.
Ready to book? Here’s what we recommend
Now more than ever, booking with a travel agent makes a lot of sense.
With so many changes happening, it can be a lot less stressful having an expert available to help with the process.
Get in contact with an agent
Thinking about traveling in 2021 or 2022? Right now is a fantastic time to start communicating with a travel agent.
An experienced travel agent can make all the difference. Fill out the info below to get started.
Learn more about all the reasons you may want to book your next Disney World vacation with a travel agent.
How far in advance can you book a Disney World vacation?
Room Only reservations
First of all, you can book Room Only reservations 499 days in advance, but you can only do that via phone by calling (407) 939-1936.
So, if your dates are next year and within that 499 day time frame, and you are only planning on doing a Room Only reservation, you can do that now by phone.
Packages, however, are different.
If you want to book a room reservation plus tickets, you’ll have to wait. Packages for the following year typically are released in the summer – usually mid to late June, although they have been released as late as July before, too.
And, they’ve been released early, too (check out the chart below for exact dates).
Note: due to worldwide events, the Disney Dining Plan has been suspended through at least September 2021. Previously, you could also book a package with one of the Dining Plans.
We do anticipate the Disney Dining Plan returning sometime in the future.
Historical release dates for Disney World vacation packages
- 2022 package (for dates Jan 1, 2022 through July 1, 2022) opened up on February 16, 2021
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on October 15, 2020 (for dates through December 31, 2021)
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 24, 2020 (for dates through September 27, 2021)
- 2020 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 18, 2019
- 2019 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 19, 2018
- 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 20, 2017
- 2017 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 21, 2016
- 2016 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 22, 2015
- 2015 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on July 30, 2014
Is booking earlier really better?
There are many reasons why people might want to book as far out as possible.
Sometimes people like to pay their vacation off a little bit at a time. The sooner the trip is booked, the sooner they can start applying payments to it.
Other times people might want a highly sought after room category or location and in order to maximize the chances of snagging it, they book as soon as they can.
Or, maybe you’re traveling during a busy time (like the holidays) and you want to make sure you get the resort and room category you want.
And then there are people like us – we just like knowing our next trip is booked! It makes it feel more “real” and there’s nothing like seeing it in our My Disney Experience accounts when we log-in.
Whatever the reason, when the packages open up Disney’s low deposit rates makes it easy for people to make reservations plus their cancellation policies are quite friendly too, giving you peace of mind that if something happens and you have to cancel, you won’t be out any money.
What happens if a discount comes out after I’ve booked?
Discounts can be applied after you’ve booked your trip.
It is relatively easy to do. Take a look at our step-by-step guide for applying discounts for info on how that works.
Want to compare the differences in deposit and cancellation policies between room-only and package reservations? Read our post on How and When to Make All Disney World Reservations for more information.
- 2022 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages Now Available To Book
- Walt Disney World Vacation Packages Can Be Booked Through End Of 2021
- New 2021 Walt Disney World Room & Ticket Package Announced
- Reopening Dates Set For Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, & All-Star Movies
- Disney Park Pass System Extended Through Early January 2023