If you’re reading this then you probably know that there is more planning involved for a Disney World trip than you’ll find with many other vacations.
With dining reservations happening at 180 days out and FastPass+ reservations happening at 60 days, you’ll need to be prepared.
But, when can you actually book your Disney World vacation?
2021 Packages went on sale June 24
Great news for anybody waiting to book a vacation package in 2021:
Walt Disney World Resort Packages for travel dates through September 27, 2021 are now available to book.
Packages for travel dates later in the year have not yet gone on sale and no date for when that will happen is available at this time.
And, because of the new Disney Park Pass reservation system, Guests will be able to view park reservation availability prior to purchasing their tickets, however, standalone tickets are not available at this time.
It is important to note that not all resorts may be available to book. These are the resorts that are NOT currently accepting reservations through September 2021:
- All-Star Movies Resort
- All-Star Music Resort
- All-Star Sports Resort
- Port Orleans – Riverside Resort
- Port Orleans – French Quarter
- Wilderness Lodge
And, these are the resorts that ARE available to book:
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Art of Animation Resort
- Beach Club Villas
- BoardWalk Inn
- BoardWalk Villas
- Caribbean Beach Resort
- Contemporary Resort
- Coronado Springs Resort
- Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Old Key West Resort
- Polynesian Village Resort
- Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Pop Century Resort
- Riviera Resort
- Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Notable changes in 2021 packages
Lots of things have been changing in regards to Disney World vacation planning, including package details. Here’s a few important things to note:
- Disney Dining Plans are currently not available to add to packages but they are expected later. If you have booked a package you would be able to add that to your existing reservation when that happens.
- Beginning in Jan, air travel will no longer be offered through Disney. You will need to secure that on your own.
- Also new for 20201, complimentary MagicBands will not be included. Guests will still be able to purchase a MagicBand if they want, or if they’d rather they’ll be able to use their phone or a Key to the World card that can be picked up at the front desk of your resort.
Ready to book? Here’s what we recommend
Now more than ever, booking with a travel agent makes a lot of sense.
With so many changes happening, having an expert help you can make or break your trip.
Get in contact with an agent
Thinking about traveling in 2021? Right now is a fantastic time to start communicating with a travel agent.
This is especially true if you’re interested in travel after September 26. They’ll get all your information and requests filed away and then when those packages open up, they’ll take care of working to snag you exactly what you want.
Even if you aren’t able to book packages for the following year yet, you can still connect now with a travel agent and if you’d like a recommendation, we can’t say enough good things about the agents at Perfect Story Travel.
The handpicked team of agents at Perfect Story Travel can help you out. Fill out the info below to get started.
They truly care about helping people create magical memories and are hard at work right now making sure they are ready to book their 2021 clients as soon as those packages open up.
Learn more about all the reasons you may want to book your next Disney World vacation with a travel agent.
How far in advance can you book a Disney World vacation?
Room Only reservations
First of all, you can book Room Only reservations 499 days in advance, but you can only do that via phone by calling (407) 939-1936.
So, if your dates are next year and within that 499 day time frame, and you are only planning on doing a Room Only reservation, you can do that now by phone.
Packages, however, are different.
If you want to book a room reservation plus tickets, you’ll have to wait. Packages for the following year typically are released in the summer – usually mid to late June although they have been released as late as July before, too.
Note: due to worldwide events, the Disney Dining Plan has been suspended through at least September of 2021. Previously, you could also book a package with one of the Dining Plans.
So, if you are looking to book a package for 2021 unless Disney changes how they do things you’ll need to wait until June/July of 2020 before you can do that.
Historical release dates for Disney World vacation packages
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 24, 2020
- 2020 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 18, 2019
- 2019 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 19, 2018
- 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 20, 2017
- 2017 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 21, 2016
- 2016 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 22, 2015
- 2015 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on July 30, 2014
Is booking earlier really better?
There are many reasons why people might want to book as far out as possible.
Sometimes people like to pay their vacation off a little bit at a time. The sooner the trip is booked, the sooner they can start applying payments to it.
Other times people might want a highly sought after room category or location and in order to maximize the chances of snagging it, they book as soon as they can.
Or, maybe you’re traveling during a busy time (like the holidays) and you want to make sure you get the resort and room category you want.
And then there are people like us – we just like knowing our next trip is booked! It makes it feel more “real” and there’s nothing like seeing it in our My Disney Experience accounts when we log-in.
Whatever the reason, when the packages open up Disney’s low deposit rates makes it easy for people to make reservations plus their cancellation policies are quite friendly too, giving you peace of mind that if something happens and you have to cancel, you won’t be out any money.
Want to compare the differences in deposit and cancellation policies between room-only and package reservations? Read our post on How and When to Make All Disney World Reservations for more information.