If you’re reading this you probably know that there is more planning involved for a Disney World trip than you’ll find with many other vacations.
But, when do packages for the following year actually open up?
2023 Disney World Packages Open June 8
Looking to get your 2023 Disney World vacation reserved? You’ll be able to do that soon!
On June 8, Walt Disney World Resort will open bookings for theme park tickets, Disney Resort hotel stays and vacation packages.
As we look at the details, one thing that appears to remain missing from vacation packages is the Disney Dining Plan. If we had to guess, we think that until all restaurants are operating with their full staffs, we won’t see the plan return.
Another important thing to note is that also on June 8, guests will no longer be allowed to pre-purchase Genie+ as an add-on with their tickets. Instead, each guest will use the My Disney Experience app to purchase Genie+ on the day of their visit.
How far in advance can you book a Disney World vacation?
Room Only reservations
First of all, you can book Room Only reservations 499 days in advance, but you can only do that via phone by calling (407) 939-1936.
So, if your dates are next year and within that 499 day time frame, and you are only planning on doing a Room Only reservation, you can do that now by phone.
Packages, however, are different.
If you want to book a room reservation plus tickets, you’ll have to wait. Packages for the following year typically are released in the summer – usually mid to late June, although they have been released as late as July before, too.
And, they’ve been released early, too (check out the chart below for exact dates).
Note: As of early May 2022, the Disney Dining Plan is still unavailable. Previously, you could also book a package with one of the Dining Plans.
Disney has confirmed that the Dining Plan would return; however, we do not know when.
Historical release dates for Disney World vacation packages
- 2023 packages opened up June 8, 2022
- 2022 packages (for dates Jan 1, 2022 through July 1, 2022) opened up on February 16, 2021
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on October 15, 2020 (for dates through December 31, 2021)
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 24, 2020 (for dates through September 27, 2021)
- 2020 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 18, 2019
- 2019 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 19, 2018
- 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 20, 2017
- 2017 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 21, 2016
- 2016 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 22, 2015
- 2015 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on July 30, 2014
Is booking earlier really better?
There are many reasons why people might want to book as far out as possible.
Sometimes people like to pay their vacation off a little bit at a time. The sooner the trip is booked, the sooner they can start applying payments to it.
Other times people might want a highly sought after room category or location and in order to maximize the chances of snagging it, they book as soon as they can.
Or, maybe you’re traveling during a busy time (like the holidays) and you want to make sure you get the resort and room category you want.
And then there are people like us – we just like knowing our next trip is booked! It makes it feel more “real” and there’s nothing like seeing it in our My Disney Experience accounts when we log-in.
Whatever the reason, when the packages open up Disney’s low deposit rates makes it easy for people to make reservations. Plus their cancellation policies are quite friendly too, giving you peace of mind that if something happens, and you have to cancel, you won’t be out any money.
What happens if a discount comes out after I’ve booked?
Discounts can be applied after you’ve booked your trip.
It is relatively easy to do. Take a look at our step-by-step guide for applying discounts for info on how that works.
Want to compare the differences in deposit and cancellation policies between room-only and package reservations? Read our post on How and When to Make All Disney World Reservations for more information.
- Don’t Miss Small World Vacations’ New Year’s 2022 Walt Disney World Offer
- 2023 Disney World Packages Available To Book June 8, Plus Genie+ Purchase Change
- Don’t Miss Small World Vacations’ 2021 Black Friday Offer
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue Returning in June at Walt Disney World
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Is No Longer Reopening In December 2021