If you’re reading this, you probably know that there is more planning involved for a Disney World trip than you’ll find with many other vacations.
But, when do packages for the following year actually open up?
2024 Disney World Packages Open May 31
Great news! 2024 bookings for theme park tickets, Disney Resort hotel stays, and packages at Walt Disney World open up on May 31.
And yes, you read that correctly, the Disney Dining Plan is back for 2024, too!
How far in advance can you book a Disney World vacation?
Room Only reservations
In the past, you could book Room Only reservations up to 499 days in advance, but in August 2022 that changed.
The new rule for Room Only Reservations are that you can book those out as far in advance as you can a package.
If you want to book a room reservation plus tickets, or a room reservation, tickets, and the dining plan, you’ll need to book a “package.”
Packages for the following year typically are released in the late spring or early summer – usually mid to late June, although they have been released as early as the end of May and as late as July before, too.
Historical release dates for Disney World vacation packages
- 2024 packages open up May 31, 2023
- 2023 packages opened up June 8, 2022
- 2022 packages (for dates Jan 1, 2022 through July 1, 2022) opened up on February 16, 2021
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on October 15, 2020 (for dates through December 31, 2021)
- 2021 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 24, 2020 (for dates through September 27, 2021)
- 2020 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 18, 2019
- 2019 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 19, 2018
- 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 20, 2017
- 2017 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 21, 2016
- 2016 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on June 22, 2015
- 2015 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages opened up on July 30, 2014
Is booking earlier really better?
There are many reasons why people might want to book as far out as possible.
Sometimes people like to pay their vacation off a little bit at a time. The sooner the trip is booked, the sooner they can start applying payments to it.
Other times, people might want a highly sought after room category or location and in order to maximize the chances of snagging it, they book as soon as they can.
Or, maybe you’re traveling during a busy time (like the holidays) and you want to make sure you get the resort and room category you want.
And then there are people like us – we just like knowing our next trip is booked! It makes it feel more “real” and there’s nothing like seeing it in our My Disney Experience accounts when we log in.
Whatever the reason, when the packages open up, Disney’s low deposit rates make it easy for people to make reservations. Plus, their cancellation policies are quite friendly too, giving you peace of mind that if something happens, and you have to cancel, you won’t be out any money.
What happens if a discount comes out after I’ve booked?
Discounts can be applied after you’ve booked your trip.
It is relatively easy to do. Take a look at our step-by-step guide for applying discounts for info on how that works.
Want to compare the differences in deposit and cancellation policies between room-only and package reservations? Read our post on How and When to Make All Disney World Reservations for more information.
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- Minnie’s Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Cafe review: is it worth it? - September 21, 2023
- Topolino’s Terrace character breakfast review: is it worth it? - September 21, 2023
- Things that don’t exist at Disney World anymore - September 13, 2023