Extra Magic Hours are a perk of staying on-site in a Disney World resort but they might not always make sense for you. Today, I have info on the best use of Extra Magic Hours and situations where they make sense.
I also have a quick tip of the day on using microwaves at your on-site resort.
These are notes from this episode. There’s much more info included in the audio so be sure to listen to the episode for a better explanation.
Become a WDW Prep To Go Patron
WDW Prep To Go Patrons pay a little to unlock even more content than what’s on the main podcast feed, such as a private FB Group and exclusive audio that’s released on a private podcast feed.
Become a Patron Now
Extra Magic Hours
- Extra Magic Hours (EMH) are extra hours before or after a park’s official operating times that allow on-site guests to visit
- Not all rides are open during EMH. You can check this chart for which attractions are open.
- On the best/worst parks charts on the monthly dashboards, I don’t usually recommend EMHs because those are usually the busiest parks of the day
- EMHs often do make sense in some situations such as:
- Animal Kingdom which isn’t as affected by crowds
- People who have park hopper tickets
- Late risers who can’t wake up to visit parks early but can stay for late night EMHs
- Travelers visiting during peak times
- Those who want to ride headliners multiple times
Quick tip of the day
Most Disney World resort rooms don’t have microwaves but you can use the microwave in the food court or Quick Service location.
Subscribe to get new episodes
There are a few ways to get new episodes of WDW Prep To Go.
- Subscribe in iTunes (and please leave a review!)
- Subscribe to the feed
- Listen on Stitcher
Do you have any questions or additional suggestions about Extra Magic Hours? Feel free to share in the comments.
- After Hours Coming to Epcot, H20 Glow Returning to Typhoon Lagoon
- Disney After Hours Returning to Disney World in 2023
- Park Hopping Changes & More Coming to Disney World & Disneyland
- How to Use Disney World’s Car Locator Feature in the My Disney Experience App
- New Car Locator Feature Coming to My Disney Experience & Disneyland Apps
- Erin C.’s trip with two little ones to Disney World– PREP 358 - May 23, 2023
- What is the best way to get from MCO to WDW? - May 16, 2023
- Competing at The Summit and a Disney World vacation with Misty O – PREP 357 - May 16, 2023
Wednesday 2nd of May 2018
I understand the rides listed are available during early morning magic hours, but if the park opens an hour early, do the other things like Boneyard, or Finding Nemo: The Musical have earlier start times as well, such as 9am instead of 10am and 10am instead of 11am, respectively?
Wednesday 2nd of May 2018
No, not usually.
Thursday 15th of June 2017
I am hearing reports that Pandora is opening for morning EMHs? Your chart says they are not - can you confirm?
Friday 16th of June 2017
Yep! You're right that they are open. Chart has been updated.
Friday 22nd of July 2016
Do you recommend EMH during the off season? I will be visiting the park at the end of January 2017. We're trying to avoid crowds, but we dont want to miss the fireworks due to shorter operating hours.
Sunday 27th of September 2015
Thank You So Much for all this AWESOME information!!! If we are planning a 10 day Visit with Park Hopper and Water Park Option in late March 2016 should I wait to get Ebook? Or can I get it now with Free Updates? Also, my family and I are early Risers if so we plan to have a small Breakfast in room, then Head to MK by 7:30am for EMH, we plan on doing MK 8-10am then head for Character Brunch at Contemporary by 11am then head to another (less Crowded) park for the day. Would that make sense or should we avoid MK on EMH days all together? We planned our Dining Reservations around the EMH early park Hours and wondering if I should change them!
Thursday 12th of February 2015
Absolutely use the morning EMH at Animal Kingdom if you want to ride Expedition Everest. Our last visit in 2012 during Thanksgiving week we got there at rope drop on the EMH morning and by the time the park opened for regular hours we'd ridden Everest four times in a row - no waiting! We still had tons of time to explore and see all the animals at our leisure.