It’s time to say goodbye to the massive flying kites at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
According to the official Walt Disney World website, Disney KiteTails is closing for good at the end of September.
The official statement reads: “Enjoy Disney KiteTails until its last offering on September 30, 2022.”
KiteTails was first introduced at the beginning of Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebration.
Talented performers on jet skis would fly massive kites themed after The Lion King and Jungle Book around Discovery River Lagoon.
It was a cute show and the kites were quite impressive, but the daytime entertainment wasn’t anything to go out of your way to see. However, the way the kites landed were quite entertaining (if you know, you know).
Plus, during those hotter days, sitting inside the Discovery River Amphitheater is almost unbearable.
Eventually, Disney announced that KiteTails was changing from a set schedule to one where guests could catch quick glimpses of the 30-feet-long kites as they would pass from one destination to the next.
In the words of Disney, “Just in time for summer fun, we’re shifting the focus of the show so guests will be able to experience Disney KiteTails from anywhere around the Discovery River Lagoon, with shorter and more frequent performances throughout the day. “
And now, KiteTails is ending. This also means, once again, Discovery River Lagoon will be without entertainment, except for the character flotillas that float through.
It’s unclear if Disney is looking to add another show here or what their plan is moving forward, but we will be sure to update you if any information is announced in the future.
How you do you feel about KiteTails ending?
- Walt Disney World Temporarily Closing Due to Hurricane Ian
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort Set To Finally Reopen In March 2022
- MagicBand+ Launching at Disneyland in Fall 2022
- New Sales Of Select Walt Disney World Annual Passes Currently Paused
- New Magic Kingdom Cavalcade & More Disney World Entertainment Announced
- Discovery Island at Animal Kingdom (Nomad Lounge, Trails, Mickey & Minnie) - October 7, 2022
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway Opens January 2023 at Disneyland, Plus More Disney100 Celebration Details - October 6, 2022
- Walt’s Main Street Story & Holiday Guided Tour Returning to Disneyland Resort - October 5, 2022