Disney After Hours events have been happening for a couple of years now at Magic Kingdom, but for the summer of 2019 it's been kicked up a notch.
Disney Villains After Hours offers guests the same low waits at their favorite attractions as the regular version with a few additional wicked entertainment elements tossed in.
Here's everything you need to know, including how much it costs, who we think should attend, and a suggested itinerary if you plan to go.
What is Disney Villains After Hours?
Disney Villains After Hours is a separately-ticketed event (meaning it's a ticket that is purchased separate from regular park tickets) that allows people to enter Magic Kingdom at 7 p.m. and stay until 1 a.m.
Unlike the regular version of this event, though, Disney Villains After Hours has more of a party atmosphere. In fact, you can think of it as a sort of hybrid between Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and the regular Magic Kingdom After Hours.
Some things are the same
Like regular After Hours event, your ticket will get you in at 7 p.m., which is before the official start time of 10 p.m.
If you are entering with just your party ticket (meaning you aren't spending your day at Magic Kingdom), you can get your credentials (a wristband) at the gate. If you will be in Magic Kingdom before 7 p.m., you'll be able to pick up your wristband at special locations throughout the park.
Even though this version has a theme, there are still a limited number of tickets sold so the waits for your favorite attractions remain next to nothing.
Though the ticket allows you to enter at 7:00 p.m., the event doesn't begin until 10:00 p.m. which means you can do things between 7 and the event starting time that aren't available during the party. Most importantly, that includes fireworks, attractions, and character meets that won't be open during the event.
Here's how it is different
Villains After Hours does include the same complimentary snacks (unlimited ice cream treats, popcorn, and bottled beverages) as the regular version. You'll typically find these at the carts and kiosks spread throughout the park, so if the line looks long at one it might be worth it to hold off and try the next one you come across.
But, in addition to all the free stuff, you'll also have access to lots of other wicked goodies (all villain-themed) that you can purchase:
Main Street U.S.A.
- Main Street Bakery - Not-So-Poison Apple Cupcake
- Casey's Corner - De Vil's Treat
- Tortuga Tavern - Hade's Nachos and Hades Temptation
- Liberty Square Popcorn Cart - Headless Horseman Browkie
- Sleepy Hollow - Dr. Faciller's Tarot Card Tart and A Drink from the Other Side
- Storybook Treats - Maleficent Cone and Dragon's Breath Float
- Cool Ship - Intergalactic Noodles and Yzma's Llama Potion
Villains After Hours has its own collection of exclusive merchandise, too.
If you're looking for something to remember the evening by you'll find several styles of t-shirts:
And even cell phone cases and cups:
Probably the most obvious way Villains After Hours differs from the regular After Hours is by the special entertainment offerings it has:
- New Disney Villains stage show – This new show called "Villains Unite the Night" stars Hades and Meg from “Hercules” with some special appearances by Jafar, The Queen, Dr. Facilier, and Maleficent
- Maleficent the Dragon – Maleficent the Dragon (which is the super popular float from the Festival of Fantasy parade) can be found creeping through the park and breathing her scary fire
- "Villanous Enhancements" to attractions: Both Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain have some fun villain-themed additions for these special nights
- Dance Party: You can dance the night away at the castle stage where a DJ "transforms the Central Plaza into a killer club scene."
Disney Villains After Hours map
Dates and times
If you want to attend, you'll have 10 chances to do so:
- Thursday, June 6, 2019
- Thursday, June 13, 2019
- Thursday, June 20, 2019
- Thursday, June 27, 2019
- Monday, July 1, 2019
- Thursday, July 11, 2019
- Thursday, July 18, 2019
- Thursday, July 25, 2019
- Thursday, August 1, 2019
- Thursday, August 8, 2019
But, be prepared for a late night. This event takes place from 10:00 p.m. until 1 a.m.
Attractions & Character Meets
Unlike Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and the regular After Hours events, there aren't any character meets at these.
Other than that, the majority of the park will be open making it easy to see and ride all of your favorites (while still having time to check out the exclusive Villainous offerings).
Here's what you can typically find available:
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Jungle Cruise
- Pirates of the Caribbean (with Villainous enhancements)
- Swiss Family Treehouse
- Enchanted Tiki Room
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Splash Mountain
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Haunted Mansion
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- The Barnstormer
- “it’s a small world”
- Mad Tea Party
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Meet Ariel in her grotto
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Space Mountain (with Villainous enhancements)
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
And here's what's NOT available:
- Happily Ever After (but you can see it with your ticket before the park closes)
- Character meets
Main Street, U.S.A.
- Meet Mickey at Town Square Theater
- Meet Tinkerbell at Town Square Theater
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- Princess Fairytale Hall
- The Hall of Presidents
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Carousel of Progress
Disney Villains After Hours cost
Tickets for this version are slightly more expensive than those for the regular one:
- $139 (plus tax) for tickets purchased in advance.
- $144 (plus tax) for tickets purchased on the night of the event.
Discounts are available, though. Guests that have Annual Passes or are members of Disney's Vacation Club can save $30/ticket (making the total with discount $109 plus tax).
Remember: your ticket will get you into the park starting at 7 pm so while it is pricey, it gives you 6 hours worth of park time, with several hours of that including free snacks and low-to-no waits at most of the attractions.
We love the After Hours events at Magic Kingdom and think that if you're looking to add something special to a trip, this is a fantastic option.
How to get tickets
To purchase tickets you have a couple of options:
You can purchase them from a travel professional like the agents at Perfect Story Travel. Just indicate in the notes field that you'd like to buy Disney Villains After Hours tickets and one of the amazing agents there will get back to you ASAP.
Or, if you'd rather, tickets can be purchased online or by calling 407-827-7185.
Dress the part
It is very typical for some guests to dress up for special events like these.
If that sounds like something you'd like to do, here's the costume rules (according to Disney):
- You can dress up, but remember you can't sign autographs (or try to pass yourself off as a Disney Cast Member)
- Costumes should be family friendly
- No weapons allowed (and nothing that people might mistake for a weapon), no sharp objects or anything that might injure another person
- Guests 13 and under can wear a mask as long as it doesn't cover the entire face
- For guests 14 and older: no costumes that drape heavily (like robes), capes should not go past the waist, and no masks of any kind
Planning your time
Here's how we'd suggest you spend your time:
- Arrive at Magic Kingdom just before 7:00 so you can enter the park as soon as you can.
- Visit any attractions and character meets that won't be open during the event.
- See the fireworks.
- Spend most of your time visiting attractions, picking up free snacks at kiosks throughout Magic Kingdom as you go.
- Plan to see at least 1 showing of the Villains Unite the Night Castle Show (typically shown at 11 p.m, and 12 & 1 a.m.)
- Check out Maleficent as she wanders through the park.
- Grab a bottle or two of beverages to take back to your hotel.
- Have a PhotoPass photographer snap your pic on Main Street on the way out.
Liked what you read? Let us know in the comments!