Visiting Disney World resorts has gotten more tricky as they put more rules in place since reopening, but it’s totally doable if you know the rules.
Here’s how things are actually working right now:
Using onsite Disney transportation
Using onsite transportation is a guarantee – whether it’s monorail, boat, bus, or Skyliner. This is the easiest way to visit any onsite resort. Nobody will be checking anything or looking anything up.
You just…show up. Easy.
Arriving by car
Arriving by car (whether it’s your own, an Uber/Lyft, or friend dropping you off) – you’ll need to give the guard at the gate something to look up to verify that you can be there.
Here are some of the options at the guard gate:
- a dining reservation at the resort
- let them know you’re an onsite guest at another Disney resort (this works at almost every resort – we even had a guard tell us “those are the magic words!”) but resorts like The Contemporary will often be a bit more strict and likely require a dining reservation
- the room number and name of somebody staying at that resort that you plan to visit
- mobile order at a restaurant at that resort (works at most resorts, but a few resorts like The Contemporary may or may not accept this)
Although this is a great time to consider offsite stays since so many onsite benefits have gone away for now, the inability to easily visit an onsite resort is 1 of the biggest frustrations with staying offsite. Sometimes you just want to run over and see the animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge, ya know?
The following products and services give us a commission on sales.
Get our free Quick Start Guide
Have our guide delivered right to your inbox with our 6-step Disney World planning process to make it less overwhelming. Snag our free guide ➡️
Take our course
Check out our course that will help you learn all about Walt Disney World planning with dozens of videos and downloadables for each step along the way. Get access now ➡️
Our recommend travel agency
We partner with Small World Vacations, Diamond Level Authorized Disney Vacations Planners in business since 1996. Get a quote now ➡️
Want to stay deluxe on a moderate budget?
It’s 1 of our top fave ways to save! By renting DVC points, you can stay in deluxe accommodations for a fraction of the price. Check availability ➡️
Private car service
Quicksilver Tours will transport you in style. They assist with luggage at the airport, provide car seats, and include a free grocery stop. Book your car ➡️
Need a stroller, wheelchair, or scooter?
Buena Vista Scooters is a company with a great reputation who offers in-person resort drop off and pick up of strollers, scooters, and wheelchairs. Book your rental ➡️
- Meggan’s Thanksgiving week Disney World trip – PREP 386 - December 5, 2023
- Briana’s large family trip to Disney World – PREP 385 - November 28, 2023
- Disney World birthday trip with Savannah and her mom – PREP 384 - November 21, 2023