Update: Disney has reversed the decision and FuelRods are once again free to swap.
After some speculation, the news is now true. Those who use FuelRods will no longer be able to swap charging rods for free.
According to notices posted on FuelRod machines around Walt Disney World parks, you will have to pay $3 each and every time you swap a charger. This new policy goes into effect on Nov. 1, 2019.
Park guests can continue to pay a one-time charge of $30 for a kit that includes the portable battery and appropriate cable (for most Android, iPhone, and iPad devices), but complimentary swaps will be discontinued at the beginning of November.
FuelRods first came to Disney World in summer 2016 and are a handy way for people to charge their devices.
If you don’t want to pay the $3 per swap, you can choose to recharge your FuelRod for free by plugging it into an outlet. Of course, this will be more of a hassle compared to swapping for a new rod, but it’s always another option.
To be clear, FuelRod is not exclusive to Disney World. There are many other FuelRod machines at airports and theme parks in which guests have to pay every time they swap.
- Walt Disney World Announces Reopening Dates For Club Level Lounges
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Is No Longer Reopening In December 2021
- 2023 Disney World Packages Available To Book June 8, Plus Genie+ Purchase Change
- Don’t Miss Small World Vacations’ New Year’s 2022 Walt Disney World Offer
- Walt Disney World Releases Extended Evening Theme Park Hours