We have some exciting news for the happiest place on earth! On March 17, Disney confirmed that Disneyland will reopen on April 30, 2021.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek also appeared on CNBC, where he first shared the happy announcement.
According to California state guidelines, amusement parks can reopen beginning April 1 with 15% capacity in the red tier, 25% capacity in the orange tier, and 35% capacity in the yellow tier.
Orange County, where Disneyland is located, returned to the red tier on Sunday, March 14.
As previously announced, per the state guidelines, indoor rides and attractions must maintain a 15% capacity in the red tier and 25% capacity in the orange and yellow tiers, while outdoor rides and attractions can accommodate more riders provided social distancing mandates are followed.
Chapek confirmed to CNBC that both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure will operate at around 15% upon reopening. Of course, health and safety protocols will be required, including face coverings and social distancing measures.
Here’s what you need to know regarding the reopening:
- Currently, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines.
- A theme park reservation system will be in place, similar to Walt Disney World’s Disney Park Pass System. Guests ages 3 and up are required to have both valid theme park admission and a park reservation for entry.
- Characters will pop up in new and safe ways to promote physical distancing.
- Experiences like parades and nighttime spectaculars will return at a later date.
- Hotels will open in phases with Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa planning to reopen on April 29.
- Disney Vacation Club Villas at Grand Californian plan to reopen May 2.
- Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel will reopen at a later date.
- DCA’s Avengers Campus will open at a later date.
- Guests will also get to experience “new magic” coming to the Haunted Mansion and the newly reimagined Snow White’s Enchanted Wish.
- FastPass, Disney MaxPass, Magic Morning, and Extra Magic Hours will be suspended for the time being.
If that isn’t enough, as Disney noted, “In the days leading up to the public opening on April 30, Disneyland Resort will invite cast members and members of the local community to be the first theme park guests after more than a year of closure.”
It’s also important to add that DCA’s A Touch of Disney limited-ticketed experience is currently sold out, but will continue from March 18 through April 19.
For all of the ins and outs regarding the reopening of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure, be sure to also keep an eye on our complete Disneyland reopening guide.
We will keep this guide up to date with the latest information you need to know prior to visiting.
Even though out-of-state residents can’t currently visit Disneyland, if you need assistance with any of your Disney planning needs, Small World Vacations can help.
- Park Hopping Changes & More Coming to Disney World & Disneyland
- Splash Mountain Reportedly Closing in May 2023 at Disneyland Park
- Disneyland Announces 2023 Southern California Resident Ticket Offer
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway Opens January 2023 at Disneyland, Plus More Disney100 Celebration Details
- MagicBand+ Debuts October 26 at Disneyland