Both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort will honor Black History Month in February with respective “Celebrate Soulfully” celebrations.
This is the second year in row Disney World has put on the special event honoring black culture and heritage, whereas this is the first year “Celebrate Soulfully” is coming to Disneyland.
Here are some new ways Disney World and Disneyland will celebrate Black History Month in 2022.
- Featured musical acts will perform all month long perform Motown, jazz, R&B, and pop hits
- New murals and art displays (several inspired by characters from The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder)
- Soul, Remember the Titans, and more join the Movies Under the Stars series
- “Celebrate Gospel” previously held in Stage 17 at Disney California Adventure, the event returns to the Fantasyland Theater with award-winning Gospel singer, actor, and fashion designer Kierra Shear with a cappela Gospel group Sacred Groove (February 19), Grammy-award winners Jonathan McReyolds and Mali Music with a cappella group The Singers of Soul (February 26). On both weekends, Southern California community choirs perform from 3 to 7 p.m.
- Nightly outdoor concerts featuring R&B, Gospel, reggae, funk, and jazz genres throughout February, plus Saturday afternoon Gospel music
- Art displays from emerging Black artists inspired by Soul (artists are Bee Harris, Bianca Pastel, Arrington Porter, and Cory Van Lew), along with chalk muralists Marcella Sweat creating a new chalk mural each week in February
Walt Disney World
- Different restaurants will feature “Cooking with Soul” menu items spotlighting authentic dishes and the chefs who create them
- New menu items at Polite Pig, Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar, and D-Luxe Burger inspired by flavors from the Caribbean, Africa, and the Southern U.S. and crafted by chefs and culinary cast members who will draw on their heritage to infuse cultural flavors
- Try Soulfully Sweet Pralines at The Ganachery inspired by Joe Gardner from Soul
- Order Coffee Pot Gelato at Vivoli il Gelato, a limited-edition flavor made with coffee stout sourced from Green Bench Brewing Company, a Florida-based Black-owned brewery
- The Half Note Float at Fife & Drum in The American Adventure features Fanta Strawberry, Minute Maid Lemonade, Fanta Blue Raspberry Slushy, and vanilla ice cream and is also named in honor of the jazz club Joe Gardner visits in Soul
- The Peach Cobbler Rum Cake at Tiffins Restaurant is inspired by chef James Hemings
- The Mandazi at Nomad Lounge is a delicious fried dough dessert with Swahili origins
- There is a Celebrate Soulfully cupcake that pays tribute to Soul (Creature Comforts, Flame Tree Barbecue, and Restaurantosaurus)
- Try the Mint Julep in honor of the drinks’ creator John Dabney (Nomad Lounge, Dawa Bar, Restaurantosaurus Lounge, and Thirsty River Bar)
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Special menu enhanced with wines, beer, and spirits from Black-owned businesses at Hearthstone Lounge
- Live jazz is offered nightly in the hotel lobby throughout February
- At Art of Disney, the Artist Spotlight highlights Floyd Norman, Bruce Smith, Carole Holliday, and other talented animators who have worked with the Walt Disney Animation Studios (The Jungle Book, The Proud Family)
- On select dates, meet artist, painter, and operator of the Three Masks Art Gallery, Timothy Adebule
- Bowes Signature Candles will offer special discounts off candle making
- Sephora will celebrate a company-wide commitment to dedicate substantial shelf space in-store to diverse companies
- Sugarboo & Co. will feature an assortment of writings from members of the Black community
- Several popular Disney-owned locations will have products honoring Soul, The Princess and the Frog, and Black Panther
- Bowes Candles, founded by Jamaica native and artisan Dave Bowes, will be on the porch of the Discovery Trading Co. facing the Tree of Life
- Post 21 returns on February 1 with a collection of modern and design-forward merchandise from Black-owned businesses (curated by a local Los Angeles-based mother and daughter team at a kiosk location)
- WonderGround Gallery will have items celebrating Soul, The Princess and the Frog, The Lion King, and more
- Pelé Soccer will debut a new sweatshirt design that features an iconic image of Pelé and a call to “empower the culture”
- Lovepop honors Black History Month with special “We are Black History” and “Black is Beautiful” cards
The Disney Parks Blog will share more details in the future. Disney Springs also has further Celebrate Soulfully information on its website.
- California Grill Offering Limited-Time Menu For 50th Anniversary
- Don’t Miss Small World Vacations’ 2021 Black Friday Offer
- Main Street Electrical Parade, World of Color, & Fantasmic Get Return Dates at Disneyland
- Salt & Straw Officially Opens At Disney Springs
- Disneyland Announces New ‘Magic Key’ Annual Pass Program