Mark your calendars, because an important event is happening at Walt Disney World’s Disney Springs on Saturday, Nov. 23.
Disney and nonprofit organization Points of Light is hosting Family Volunteer Day, which takes place every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The special event celebrates the power of volunteerism and encourages families to volunteer in their communities.
Family Volunteer Day begins at 10:30 a.m. with Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, serving as host.
The Aguirre family of McAllen, Texas, the first ever Disney and Points of Light Volunteer Family of the Year, will be in attendance and honored. The Aguirres (parents Coni and Rick and daughters Emily and Erica) were recognized for their volunteer work and creation of Emily’s Meals, which provides food to 40 homeless people every day.
In addition to being honored on Family Volunteer Day, the Aguirres received $10,000 for the organization that nominated them, San Juan Diego Catholic Regional High School, and an additional surprise $10,000 for Emily’s Meals.
There were also four other finalist families: the Orlandos, the Bell-Wallaces, the Jeevanayagams and the Nepolas. They all received $5,000 for their organizations, plus, like the Aguirres, they will be in attendance during Disney Springs’ Family Volunteer Day. All of the families will also enjoy a vacation at Walt Disney World.
Following the ceremony hosted by Chapek, guests will be able to participate in family-service activities from 11-2 p.m. in the Disney Springs Marketplace. Those who participate will receive discounts or special offers at Disney Springs retail and dining locations on Nov. 23.
Click here if you’d like to learn more about the Disney Family Volunteering Reward Program, which rewards eligible U.S. nonprofits and schools with Disney theme park tickets for hosting family-friendly volunteer projects.
- Magical Dining Begins In Orlando, Several WDW Locations Participating
- Dapper Day Spring Outing 2021 Dates Announced For Walt Disney World
- ‘Celebrate Soulfully At Disney Springs’ Honors Black History Month
- 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon & Princess Half Marathon Are Now Virtual
- Swan & Dolphin Is Hosting A New Fall Food & Wine Event
- Yachtsman Steakhouse & More Dining Reopening At Walt Disney World - July 27, 2021
- Our 7 Favorite Booths From Epcot Food and Wine 2021 - July 22, 2021
- Happily Ever After Is Ending & More Disney World Entertainment Returns - July 21, 2021