Mark your calendars, because an important event is happening at Walt Disney World’s Disney Springs on Saturday, Nov. 23.
Disney and nonprofit organization Points of Light is hosting Family Volunteer Day, which takes place every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The special event celebrates the power of volunteerism and encourages families to volunteer in their communities.
Family Volunteer Day begins at 10:30 a.m. with Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, serving as host.
The Aguirre family of McAllen, Texas, the first ever Disney and Points of Light Volunteer Family of the Year, will be in attendance and honored. The Aguirres (parents Coni and Rick and daughters Emily and Erica) were recognized for their volunteer work and creation of Emily’s Meals, which provides food to 40 homeless people every day.
In addition to being honored on Family Volunteer Day, the Aguirres received $10,000 for the organization that nominated them, San Juan Diego Catholic Regional High School, and an additional surprise $10,000 for Emily’s Meals.
There were also four other finalist families: the Orlandos, the Bell-Wallaces, the Jeevanayagams and the Nepolas. They all received $5,000 for their organizations, plus, like the Aguirres, they will be in attendance during Disney Springs’ Family Volunteer Day. All of the families will also enjoy a vacation at Walt Disney World.
Following the ceremony hosted by Chapek, guests will be able to participate in family-service activities from 11-2 p.m. in the Disney Springs Marketplace. Those who participate will receive discounts or special offers at Disney Springs retail and dining locations on Nov. 23.
Click here if you’d like to learn more about the Disney Family Volunteering Reward Program, which rewards eligible U.S. nonprofits and schools with Disney theme park tickets for hosting family-friendly volunteer projects.
- ‘Celebrate Soulfully At Disney Springs’ Honors Black History Month
- Disney Springs’ 2020 Holiday Offerings Include Santa On A Pontoon Boat
- Walt Disney World Increases Park Operating Capacity To 35 Percent
- Drawn to Life Will Debut In November 2021 At Disney Springs
- Disney Springs Is Celebrating Women’s History Month Throughout March
- Epcot’s Festival of the Arts Returns In 2022 With Disney On Broadway Concert Series - October 21, 2021
- Where To Find The Fab 50 Gold Character Statues At Walt Disney World - October 20, 2021
- How to Book Individual Lightning Lane Selections at Walt Disney World - October 18, 2021