After much anticipation, we finally know that Walt Disney World water parks aren’t reopening anytime soon.
On Thursday, Sept. 17, we learned that Disney’s Blizzard Beach and Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon will remained closed through at least March 7, 2021. Pending government approvals, Disney hopes to reopen at least one of the water parks on that date.
If you’re an Annual Passholder with water park access (Platinum Plus and Premier Annual Passholders), you will automatically receive a partial refund.
Refunds to the original form of payment can be expected by late October through early November 2020. If the original form of payment is not available, you should expect a check by late November.
Here’s what else you need to know:
If you’re a Platinum Plus Passholder:
- The refund amount is based on the price difference between the price you paid for your Platinum Plus Pass and the price of a Platinum Annual Pass prorated by the number of days left on your pass prior to water park reopening.
If you’re a Premier Passholder:
- You will receive a pro-rated refund based on the difference between a Walt Disney World Platinum Plus pass compared to the price of a Platinum pass prorated by the number of days left on your pass prior to Water Park reopening (excluding any additional extensions you may be eligible for due to the continued closure of Disneyland Resort).
If you’re a Water Parks or Water Parks After 2 Annual Passholder:
- These passes will be automatically extended for the period in which both water parks were closed. You can also cancel your pass by calling (407) 939-2732.
For Passholders on the Monthly Payment Program:
- For those on the Annual Pass monthly payment program, you will receive a lump sum refund. Your ongoing monthly payment will not change.
The WDW website has a complete breakdown of how these refunds work.
It’s also important to note you will still have admission to Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course. If the water parks and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex reopen before your pass expires, you’ll still be able to visit them.
Like all WDW Annual Passes, Platinum Plus renewals aren’t available right now. That said, existing Platinum Plus Passholders will be able to choose from a variety of passes when it’s time to renew their pass.
If you currently have tickets that include the Park Hopper Plus Option or Water Park and Sports Option, there are options available to you, as well, including:
- You can use your current date-based ticket with the existing add-on options at other experiences available during your visit.
- Tickets, as well as Disney Resort hotel packages with tickets, may be modified by calling (407) 934-7639.
- If you don’t want to use your ticket, you can cancel your ticket or package by calling (407) 566-4985.
And for those who have unused, unexpired 1-Day Disney Water Park tickets, usage will automatically be extended through Dec. 31, 2021.
You can also cancel your ticket or if you can’t visit by Dec. 31, 2021, you can apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date. If you choose this option, call (407) 939-2732.
At this time, you can also purchase new tickets that include the Park Hopper Plus Option or Water Park and Sports Option for admission March 7 and later.
There’s definitely a lot to keep track of even two months after WDW’s reopening. For all of the latest updates and information, be sure to keep an eye on our WDW reopening page and our 2020 & 2021 vacation planner.