(Article last updated: August 19, 2017)
There are several special events offered throughout the year at Disney World and 1 of those is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) where people get dressed up in costume and attend special activities that are only offered at this party.
Here's some info for you on the details of what takes place at the party, how much it costs, when it's held, and thoughts on how to create a touring plan to use during the party.
Let's get started...
In this article
- What is it?
- How much does it cost?
- When is it?
- What exactly takes place during the party?
- How to plan your time
- Is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party worth it?
- Extra touches
What is it?
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is a party that takes place at Magic Kingdom. Everybody visiting Magic Kingdom in late August through early November will get to enjoy the decorations in the park, but only people attending the party will get to enjoy the special events (details on the events are below).
How much does it cost?
This event is only available to people who have purchased special event tickets. Tickets range in price from $74-115 for adults, depending on the date you attend.
Tickets for 2017 went on sale on May 10 and can be purchased at DisneyWorld.com or by calling 407-WDISNEY.
When is it?
On some nights in August, September, October, and November, Magic Kingdom closes early so that Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) can be held from 7 p.m. to midnight (though people with party tickets can enter as early as 4 p.m.).
People often ask how Disney filters out the non-party goers. The answer is that party attendees are given special bracelets to show that they are attending the party and starting at 7 p.m., Cast Members will usher out anybody who doesn't have that bracelet.
These are the party dates for 2017:
- August 25 and 29
- September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29
- October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31
- November 1
Important note! The party will go on regardless of weather so even if it's pouring down rain, it'll be taking place. If you don't want to risk it by purchasing ahead of time (it is during hurricane season, after all), wait until you're at Disney World to purchase tickets. Some dates do sell out ahead of time but many don't.
What exactly takes place during the party?
People who attend the party get to take part in special events including:
Everybody is given a bag when entering the party, but you can bring your own if you'd like to get more as well.
Go later in the night to avoid lugging around heavy candy, to enjoy shorter lines, to benefit from Cast Members often generous portions later in the night, and to allow you to do more important things earlier.
People with food allergies: you can grab a teal bag at Town Square Theater or Heritage House. You can collect teal tokens at the trick-or-treat stations which can later be redeemed for allergy-friendly treats.
Disney used to allow everybody to wear costumes during the Halloween party, but the policy has changed in recent years.
Here's the current policy.
- Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests.
- All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
- Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
- Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
- Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
For Guests ages 13 and under:
- Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
For Guests ages 14 and older:
- Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
- Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g.,full-length Princess dresses)
- Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
- Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
- Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
- Masks of any kind may not be worn.
Due to Florida weather, you might also want to make sure costumes are cool enough to wear in the heat and humidity, and choose something that can easily be covered in a poncho.
The parade is held twice during the party (at 8:30 p.m. and 11:15 p.m.). For easiest viewing, go to Frontierland for the second parade. The parade will come through that section about 15 minutes after the official parade start time so keep that in mind when planning.
One thing that's fantastic to see is the Headless Horseman who appears just before the parade begins.
Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular
In Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular, the mischievous Sanderson Sisters from Disney "Hocus Pocus" return to the mortal world for one night during the Halloween season. With only a few hours to run a muck, the three sisters decide to use their magic to throw the best, most evil Halloween party this side of the graveyard!
A special version of Wishes called HalloWishes is shown at 10:15 p.m. during the party.
The best places to see fireworks are noted on the map below.
The Cadaver Dans Barbershop Quartet
The Cadaver Dans perform their ghoulish medley of popular "tombs" for guests in Frontierland during Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom.
There are always chances to meet lots of characters during the party. Here are the characters that were available in 2016. Will update this info when the 2017 characters are released.
The asterisk means it's a popular/rare character. Meeting them required lining up early.
Main Street, U.S.A.
- Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
- Tinker Bell
- Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, Jafar* and Abu
- Tarzan, Jane and Terk*
- Captain Jack Sparrow
- Jack Skellington and Sally*
- Belle and Gaston
- Alice, the Queen of Hearts*, and the Mad Hatter
- Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet
- Princess Tianna
- The Seven Dwarfs*
- Donald and Daisy
- Minnie Mouse
- Cruella De Vil*
- Buzz Lightyear and Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear*
Disney always has exclusive merchandise available to purchase during their parties.
This year, there are 2 different limited edition MagicBands being offered (a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and a Hocus Pocus themed one), t-shirts, pins, and light up ornaments.
Here's what is available:
- The Emporium (largest shop, located on Main Street) - t-shirt, ornament and the MagicBand
- Mickey's Star Traders (in Tomorrowland, near the Tomorrowland Speedway) - t-shirt
- Box Office Gifts (right after you enter Magic Kingdom, it's on the right side) - MagicBand
- Big Top Souvenirs (in Fantasyland, near Dumbo) - t-shirt and trading pin
Shorter waits for rides
During the party, you can enjoy shorter lines on rides but there are no FastPass+ reservations available and not all rides are open.
Here's what will be open for the 2017 party (noticeably missing - Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain):
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Swiss Family Treehouse
- A Pirate's Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Haunted Mansion
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- “It’s a small world”
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Mad Tea Party
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- The Barnstormer
- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Space Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Note: though FastPass+ reservations aren't available during the party, you can get them for 4-7:00 if you plan to arrive in that time frame.
Although I think you should definitely take advantage of the special party events, the ability to walk onto rides is a huge luxury that's a lot of fun.
One ride you should definitely take advantage of during the party is Haunted Mansion where the maids and butlers are specially dressed for the party, there are storytellers and you can have your pic taken with the hearse driver.
Side note: Magic Kingdom is a great park to visit during the day of a party since less people want to be there due to the early closure. If you show up at 4 p.m., you'll be able to ride plenty of things between 4 and 7, before the party even begins.
PhotoPass photographers will take special photos during the party and when you see the pics afterward, you'll see something magically inserted into the photo.
Magic Shots for the 2017 party will be available at these locations:
- Magic Kingdom Main Entrance
- Haunted Mansion
- Town Square
- Main Street, U.S.A.
- Liberty Square
These were the 2 Magic Shots were available in 2016. Will update this when 2017 info is released.
You could find this photo op at the main entrance of Magic Kingdom...
And this one at Haunted Mansion...
You could also find these two animated Magic Shots in 2016. These 2 were only available if you purchase Memory Maker.
Though I'd be careful about spending too much of your party time eating, there are some Quick Service and Table Service restaurants available during the party. A few of the Quick Service options even have Halloween-themed treats during the party.
Table Service restaurants that are available in 2017 include Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Crystal Palace. You can book those at on the MNSSHP dining page.
Here are the times when the special ticketed reservations began at each Table Service restaurant:
- Crystal Palace - 7:00 (last non-party ADR is at 6:30)
- Be Our Guest - 6:20 (last non-party ADR at 6:15)
- Cinderella's Royal Table - 6:40 (last non-party ADR is at 5:55)
Here are the Quick Service options (including the ones that have special treats available for the party!):
Main Street U.S.A.
- Main Street Bakery - Pumpkin Cheesecake Dome with a graham cracker streusel base, orange white chocolate glaze and a white chocolate Mickey available here (also available at Gaston's Tavern)
- Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
- Casey's Corner
- Aloha Isla - 1 of the artistic Haunted Mansion Desserts - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with Oreo panna cotta and a white chocolate Haunted Mansion-inspired portrait (other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Liberty Square Market, and Storybrook Treats)
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn - Worms and Dirt, a chocolate gravestone with chocolate cake and chocolate mousse with a chocolate glaze topped with Oreo crumbs, and gummy candy available here
- Westward Ho
Sleepy Hollow - A vanilla panna cotta, chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream, white chocolate and dark chocolate crisp pearls, dark chocolate curls and a white chocolate Jack Skellington and A Pumpkin Mickey Waffle with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles and caramel sauce available here
- Liberty Square Market (until 9 p.m.) - 1 of the artistic Haunted Mansion Desserts - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with peanut butter icing and a Haunted Mansion-inspired white chocolate portrait (other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Aloha Isle, and Storybrook Treats)
- Columbia Harbour House (until 8 p.m.)
- Pinocchio Village Haus (until 10 p.m.)
- The Friar's Nook (until 10 p.m.)
- Storybook Treats - 1 of the artistic Haunted Mansion Desserts - chocolate tart filled with chocolate ganache and topped with peanut butter icing and a Haunted Mansion-inspired white chocolate portrait (other flavors available at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies, Aloha Isle, and Liberty Square Market)
- Gaston's Tavern - Pumpkin Cheesecake Dome available here (pictured above)
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
- Cool Ship
- The Lunching Pad
- Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies - One of the artistic Haunted Mansion Desserts - chocolate tart filled with raspberry compote and topped with white chocolate (other flavors available at Aloha Isle, Liberty Square Market, and Storybrook Treats) and Candy Corn Ice Cream available here
These treats are also available throughout the park:
- Chocolate Crisped Rice Treats
- Vampire Mickey Brownies
Exclusive Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom card
Guests attending MNSSHP can pick up an exclusive Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom card. The 2016 card featured Clawhauser from Zootopia. Will update with the 2017 card when that info is released.
Get the party map
This was the party map for 2016 and it will be updated with the 2017 map as soon as it is available.
(Download the PDF)
How to plan your time
In my opinion, these should be your priorities:
- Meeting popular characters like Jack Skellington and Sally, the 7 Dwarfs, villains, and the princesses
- Boo to You Parade
- Hocus Pocus show and HalloWishes fireworks
To fit it all together, this is how I would plan my time:
- 4:00 - 7:00 - ride rides, eat dinner, and then get in line between 5:30 and 6 to meet your highest priority character (like the Seven Dwarfs or Jack Skellington & Sally)
- 7:00 - 9:00 - rides, shopping
- 9:00 - 11:00 - fireworks, Hocus Pocus show
- 11:00 - midnight - Boo to You Parade at 11:15 p.m., trick-or-treat to get as much candy as you can, meet more characters with shorter lines
Is Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party worth it?
I think the party is worth it for families that have kids that can stay up late, especially if you consider that you can think of your party ticket as your park ticket for the day but with special entertainment and shorter waits for rides.
For instance, if you'll be in Disney theme parks for 7 days, you could get 6 day park tickets and tickets to the party. On the party day, you could use the first part of the day to rest or visit Disney Springs, and then go to Magic Kingdom at 4 p.m. to use your party ticket.
In general, Tuesdays are the least crowded day to attend overall, and August and September dates are less busy than October dates.
Disney will again offer a Happy HalloWishes Dessert Package in 2017 which provides a Halloween-themed version of the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party. The price is $79/adult and $47/child, and it can be booked at online or by calling 407-939-3463. This is not something that we generally recommend because it takes so much time out of the party and you should be able to easily find a spot to view the fireworks, but it might be a nice add-on for people looking to do something a little different during their trip.
Another bit of extra magic that can be added if you're visiting Disney World in September or October is the special in-room celebration called Mickey's Spooktacular Celebration where your room can be decorated for the occasion.
So what do you think? Will you be attending Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party? Or do you have questions that weren't covered?
Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.